Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crashpad

"Why do you come to me?"
I was jumpseating to work this week on UAL and sat next to a nice older woman who was a mother of a Skywest pilot. She told me her new hire son told her to go to the back of the plane after each flight and help clean the cabin while non-reving. She said her son was strongly insistant about this and it was Skywest policy for non-reving.
I can understand showing appreciation and making sure people on your pass benefits behave properly, but this was too much! She was such a down to earth and classy lady, I knew she would do it.
I laughed and told her it was neither expected nor needed. I said her son is just beginning his career and would cross enough seatbelts and help out to cover her for a lifetime of non-rev travels. I gave her some of my Garidellis chocolate and said that was how I show my appreciation.
I truely enjoyed her company on the trip and have no doubt she has a fine son
...he's just still a little green.

Last edited:
Do you think it is her god given right to ride for free? It's a privilege, and to show a little gratitude SkyWest non-revs help fold seatbelts and pick up loose trash in the cabin.

Last edited:
crashpad said:
I was jumpseating to work this week out of OMA on UAL and sat next to a nice older woman who was a mother of a Skywest pilot. She told me her new hire son told her to go to the back of the plane after each flight and help clean the cabin while non-reving. She said her son was strongly insistant about this and that it was Skywest policy for non-reving.
Fortunately, I was there to reeducate her. I explained that her son was supposed to clean the lav because he's not worthy enough to lick my shoes and that if I ever saw her trying to act like anything but a first class customer, I'd report her son toot-sweet to his chief pilot for a well deserved b1tch-slapping.
I could see how relieved she was after talking to a real airline captain and now she can enjoy her travels the way she was meant to.
Skywest Houseboys, I don't care what your comic book manual says...if I ever find another mother thinking they are in some way indebted to the airlines simply for having spawned you, I will insist all Skywest pilots on my plane (and I take more of these peachfuzz waffleheads than anyone) commit to cleaning
the entire aircraft when we get to our destination. I'm not kidding.

I agree.......I would NEVER tell my parents to help cross seat belts as SkyWest
encourages their EMPLOYEES to do while non reving. Again, SkyWest encourages employees to help cross seat belts, not eligibles or buddy pass riders. I think the new hire was just misinterpreting what he heard in ground school. But I am glad you told the mother of the pilot not to do it. Good job.

Its not a privilege dummy. Thats stupid. As soon as my son is old enough to walk and he starts flying with my wife i will make sure he cleans the airplane before he gets off because its a privledge!! Come on.

Better

Last edited:
Its not so much a gratitude for the company as it is for helping the FA. At most outstations turns are scheduled for 30 min, FA arent allowed to eat in front of PAX so this may be the only chance they may have to eat etc. I dont think it benefits the company as much as it does the FA and the crew. It also is not so much "cleaning" the airplane but just crossing seatbelts and making the airplane presentable for the next load, the FA usually picks up the trash in the seatpockets since they have the latex gloves. At the hubs the airplane is vacumed and cleaned by the ground crew and at overnight stations.

It dosent hurt to help someone out, its just a basis for teamwork and one of the things that SkyWest has going for it.

Superpilot92 said:
Its not a privledge dummy. Thats stupid. As soon as my son is old enough to walk and he starts flying with my wife i will make sure he cleans the airplane before he gets off because its a privledge!! Come on.

Who said it was priviledge....dummy??? Not me....fact of the matter is I will not tell my parents to help out just because they non rev'd. They did enough to help me get to this point. If you dont agree with me I dont give a $hit. When I non rev I always help out but I am not going to make my parents cross seat belts....ridiculous. We will have to agree to disagree!

I'll cross seatbelts, take the trash out and pick up the barf bags. But I'll be DAMNNED if my, or anyone elses mother is going to lift a finger!!! It is their right to ride in an empty seat on my airline simply for having spawn and put up with me for so many years......not to mention the morgage and life insurance they tapped into to help pay for it all.

I treat ANY airline family like gold in the hopes that when another crew has my family aboard they'll do the same.

Agree with mcpickle, I willnever tell my family to stay and help, or anything like that. I'm more than happy to help when I jumpseat/Nonrev though, not to help the airline, but the crew, especially if they were nice to me.

Latest resources

Back