• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest IAH Base, What If ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Trouble is that the lines are often confused. I list as a nonrev and, if it's close (loads) also sign up for OMC. I often have to ask while they're swiping my boarding pass, "Am I a nonrev or jumpseater?"

Conversely, if the agent tells me 65 and a jump, I expect to have heard from someone and I will set about finding out who it is. I have no problem singling out someone who didn't properly introduce themselves (or at least let a crewmember know who they are if the situation dictates). Personally, I'd also like to know the guy I saw in uniform at the gate didn't get left behind.

Last edited:
^^That is why I never question anybody I see in uniform...because they might be "non-revs". I just don't understand why someone would pay the fee to non-rev over just taking the jumpseat. If they would rather pay the fee than ask us lowly regional pilots for a ride...thats fine I guess. I'd never do it.

I just don't understand why someone would pay the fee to non-rev over just taking the jumpseat. If they would rather pay the fee than ask us lowly regional pilots for a ride...thats fine I guess. I'd never do it.

Some gate nazis don't like that they have to pay the fee, and yet certain workgroups (Pilots, FA's, DX, MX) can dodge that bullet by jumpseating. Therefore, they will make your life miserable by making you pay the fee.

True story for me: Jumpseating around the system getting my time in with not a problem, and then on the last leg to go home, the agent says, "I'm not letting you on unless you pay the fee, because we have too many pilots jumpseating to avoid paying it."

Please tell me you reported that to your jsc.

This wasn't an isolated incident in the leastt; both pilots and DX were reporting it. This was a few years ago that this happened. It hasn't happened to me since, thankfully, but I think a large part of the sour sentiment came about because the non-rev dues had just been implemented.

Well, we won the arbitration. Those flights can not be operated for Continental airlines. I still have a problem with those that VOLUNTARY bid IAH. the planned flying was clear violation of our scope.

It will be interesting to see what happens next and how they plan to market the flights, but once again, it will not be for Continental.

With regards to jumpseat issues, I sincerely, hope you guys are treated with respect and there are no denials. I spoke with our jumpseat committee and he said they have been in close contact with SkyWest Airlines.

“Placing the CO designator code on the UAX jet aircraft with a certification of fifty-one or greater seats to and from CLE, EWR and IAH is a violation of Section 1 of the Continental/ALPA collective bargaining agreement. The Company is ordered to cease and desist advertising and placing the CO code on such flights.”

Houston Flying
I am sure many of you have either read or heard some of the chatter going around on the public forums discussing SkyWest Airlines and the flying we will be doing with the CRJ700 in IAH. The common “thread” on the forums seems to be that SkyWest Airlines pilots will be taking flying that is protected by scope clause. As you already know, this is not new flying but a redistribution of equipment and flying within the United Airlines route structure. We have been assured by the legal department at United Airlines that flying from IAH does not violate scope and is in full compliance with the current labor agreements in place.
According to some forum threads, a few of Continental’s pilots have made the suggestion to deny SkyWest Airlines pilots’ jumpseat privileges, refuse SkyWest pilots travel in the cabin and even to take pictures and place you onto a “blacklist” in hopes that you will be intimidated. While this may be only rhetoric from a few disgruntled employees or a direct attempt by ALPA to intimidate our people, United Airlines flight operations management will not tolerate any such behavior and expects the same level of professionalism from their employees.
Should you encounter any unprofessional actions directed towards you as a SkyWest pilot please call the MOD immediately. We will take immediate steps to resolve the situation and ensure our crewmembers the respect which you each have earned and deserve.
See you in Houston,

Will somebody post the follow up to this from whoever wrote it? The one where they eat a mile of crap.

Be advised: don't do this disputed flying guys. Any pilot who might be scheduled to should be able to take this very letter to SKYW and explain the flying "We have been assured by the legal department at United Airlines that flying from IAH does not violate scope and is in full compliance with the current labor agreements in place" in fact does violate it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back