• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest, Expressjet and SLC flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Considering the not so substandard money in the bank, it should be much much better.
Ya know...that is likely the weakest anti-SkyWest argument out there.

Last I checked, SkyWest was a business, not a charity. Now, I know the majority of airlines forgot how to make a profit many moons ago, but don't let that make you think they are all out to fail. That money in the bank will put SKYW in a better position to fight through harder economic times, like the ones likely ahead...and already puts them at an financing advantage when buying airframes, thus saving the company large sums of money.

If the money was going directly to Uncle Jerry and Chippy's pockets, then yeah, there would be plenty of room to talk...and, don't get me wrong, we'd all like a payraise. But this statement is exactly what is wrong with the the way the majority of pilots think. It's always about how they deserve more, more, more...even if it may hurt the company and cause me (and thousands more) to lose my job later.

I mean, Nevets, take a look at the situation at your carrier, XJet. You guys had a very successful company, had some great union leadership who pulled the pilots together and negotiated a great contract with increases in pay and QOL...and what happened? Not to say the pilot contract was the only thing, but it was definitely a factor in the reduction of CoEx flying. (And please, lets not turn this into a union argument...I'm staying far outta that.)

So, I respectfully ask, why is there something wrong with flying for the industry average, keeping your contracts, and making (and saving) money quarter after quarter?...so long as that money is going in the bank and not the execs' bonuses, of course.

I think the majority of the people who are genuinely happy here kinda like that security blanket of a bunch of money in the bank...and not worrying too much about where your company is going in this volatile business and if you will be employed next week...my friend, that is a big part of QOL.

Last edited:
Jerry is pulling in around 1.5 million a year, not including stocks. At least some of SkyWests $ is making it directly into his pockets.
Keep in mind, that being to cash heavy makes you a tempting takeover target. Your security blanket can be used to smother you.
Ya know, I don't have a problem with Uncle Jerry pulling in 1.5 mil. I mean, he did (with alot of luck) make the company what it is today. That's not ridiculous considering 30+ years with the company and I also don't seem him handing himself huge "Glenn Tiltion-style" bonuses, either.

As far as being an acquisition target, no doubt that blanket can be used to smother you, but I don't see SKYW having a good chunk of that money in the bank by the time merger-mania is over.

Last edited:
If the money was going directly to Uncle Jerry and Chippy's pockets, then yeah, there would be plenty of room to talk...and, don't get me wrong, we'd all like a payraise. But this statement is exactly what is wrong with the the way the majority of pilots think. It's always about how they deserve more, more, more...even if it may hurt the company and cause me (and thousands more) to lose my job later.

Blaming pilots is pretty low when all you do is sit inside in front of a computer all day.

Ya know, I don't have a problem with Uncle Jerry pulling in 1.5 mil. I mean, he did (with alot of luck) make the company what it is today...and I also don't seem him handing himself huge "Glenn Tiltion-style" bonuses, either.

As far as being an acquisition target, no doubt that blanket can be used to smother you, but I don't see SKYW having a good chunk of that money in the bank by the time merger-mania is over.

Some of us that helped "make the company what it is today" alongside JA, including 13 leg days with no autopilot in the SA-226, wouldn't mind a small percentage of that as thanx!

Blaming pilots is pretty low when all you do is sit inside in front of a computer all day.
I didn't blame pilots for anything. (I will save my thoughts on your referring to my comments as "low"...as there was nothing "low" about them.)

I did, however, point out a general flaw in the "Me, Me, Me!" thinking of the average pilot. You can't deny it exists...you all accuse one another of it everyday on this message board.
Some of us that helped "make the company what it is today" alongside JA, including 13 leg days with no autopilot in the SA-226, wouldn't mind a small percentage of that as thanx!
And, it is no doubt well deserved. Most SkyWest pilots work their tails off, and I understand they always have. Thus I said, "we'd all like a payraise" in a previous post. But you can't expect the company to just hand it over...you gotta go after it.

Last edited:
I didn't blame pilots for anything. (I will save my thoughts on your referring to my comments as "low"...as there was nothing "low" about them.)

I did, however, point out a general flaw in the "Me, Me, Me!" thinking of the average pilot. You can't deny it exists...you all accuse one another of it everyday on this message board.

And, it is no doubt well deserved. Most SkyWest pilots work their tails off, and I understand they always have. Thus I said, "we'd all like a payraise" in a previous post. But you can't expect the company to just hand it over...you gotta go after it.

I'd be curious as to how you suggest we "go after it", especially since you seem to be anti-ALPA/Union??!!

Considering the not so substandard money in the bank, it should be much much better.;)

After ALPA, only year 18 ($00.26) is less ASA's 700 rate, all other years are higher. 200 rates are all higher.

I'd be curious as to how you suggest we "go after it", especially since you seem to be anti-ALPA/Union??!!
I've made it clear repeatedly that I have no grounds for being anti-ALPA or pro-ALPA (or any other union, for that matter) as it is not my fight. That is entirely the decision of the pilot group and I stay out of it...just as I would expect SKYW pilots to stay out of the business of the dispatch group if they were to consider unionizing. We don't know your personal daily struggles, and you guys sure as hell don't know ours (as evidenced by the comments made toward our employee group on this board).

I have no suggestion for how to "go after it"...you've gotta figure that out for yourself.

Upon re-reading my posts...can you explain to me how you took anything I wrote as being "anti-ALPA/Union"? Or, do you just automatically default to that when someone who doesn't fly the line makes logical statements?

Drinking while posting is fun...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back