Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest celebrates "Breast Cancer Awareness Month...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Instead of just telling us how much it sucks, can anyone actually share what the changes are?
Starting in 2012, the only health care option offered by the company will be a HSA/CDHP. All HMO options will be eliminated in 2011, with the remaining PPO's being eliminated the following year. There is, unfortunately, precedence for this within the industry (Delta, from what I understand, rolled this out overnight, as opposed to giving a two-year warning). The company is double the initial seed money for the HSA and offer these monies twice for people who sign up this year, as opposed to it being a one-time deposit.

If you're healthy, a CDHP is a windfall for the employee. Now that I understand the program a little better...as someone who rarely goes to the doctor and requires little to no prescription medication every year...I wish I had been doing it all along. When it's all said and done, it's your money that carries over and you keep it if you leave the company/program, rather than paying money into an HMO you never use and never seeing that money again. That said, I'm not sure that this is the kind of plan I would want to be on if I and/or someone in my family had health issues such as diabetes, heart disease, or cancer. I just haven't personally done the research to support this type of a plan in that kind of situation.

While I do think that if they research it further, most people will find that it's not nearly as bad as everyone has initially knee-jerked, the bigger issue at hand...the way I see it...is the fact that the self-proclaimed "Employer of Choice", is taking away choice.

No matter how you look at it, it's not the best situation for an employee group that, at one time, felt they were the best taken care of in the business.

Last edited:
20 million that is a lot of savings! To bad they will not share the savings with a yearly contribution to your HSA. Most companies I have looked at, that offer this type of health insurance also contribute $1000-$2000 a year to your HSA.

For some SkyWest employees, the fight is not only for awareness, but for life itself. “SkyWest supporting an event like this not only contributes to research for treatments and cures, but reminds all of us how precious life is,” said Susan Smith, SkyWest Payroll Tax Accountant and cancer survivor. “Hopefully it will encourage all of us to take preventive measures to protect ourselves and those we love.”

http://www.skywest.com/media/04/10-06-04.php

I realize this press release is from 2004 but I'll have to assume the same program is running today. Are people still donating $5 to this cause in the name of SkyWest? Why not donate directly to the Susan G. Komen Foundation rather than giving SkyWest credit for something they obviously don't support? Here is a link.

http://ww5.komen.org/donate/donateonline.html

This employee better hope her cancer doesn't come back or she'll be in a World of hurt.

Kathy Hayes-Wurzburg, the Company’s Director of Air Cargo Services, is currently fighting her second battle with cancer. “SkyWest has supported me both times I learned I had cancer,” said Kathy. “There are thousands of worthy causes out there, so it pleases me to no end that SkyWest is involved in the fight against breast cancer. The fight for awareness is not only for me, but for all those that may need help and research in the future.”

Very sad.

Add ASA to the CDHA plan SkyWest is changing to.

Trojan

The PPO should still be offered to the pilots unless we get a new contract by then...

"1. All Insurance benefits (e.g., life, dependent life, medical,
long-term disability, dental, loss of license, etc.) that are
presently offered to the pilots, or hereinafter made available
to Company employees, will continue to be offered
and will be made available on the same terms to the pilots.
If any improvements or additions in the current policies are
offered to other employee groups within the Company, the
same improvements or additions will be offered to the
pilots."

However, I've been on the HDHP plan for the last 2 years and think that it's a good deal for relatively healthy people.

So with the CDHA do you have to pay full price for prescriptions until you reach your cap of $3000?

So with the CDHA do you have to pay full price for prescriptions until you reach your cap of $3000?

They have some sort of prescription "discount" program, but it really isnt a discount, so yes!!!

Latest resources

Back