• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SkyWest Anouncement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That would make sense if it weren't completely wrong. Small jets burn far more fuel than larger ones on a CASM basis, which is all that matters. If Delta could fill up an A380 from DAY to CVG they would put an A380 on that route. Unfortunately demand for DAY-CVG doesn't warrant an Airbus.

If an airline really wanted to curb fuel costs it would modernize the fleet by replacing 50 seat RJs with large turboprops and pressure Boeing and Airbus to build a replacement for the 737 and A320 with modern (read: fuel saving) technology. There is a company who is developing a system to taxi airplanes with an electric motor. How much fuel is wasted each year taxiing to and from runways? Anyway the point is there are plenty ways to modernize the national fleet to save fuel costs, but airlines in this country aren't progressive.

Actually I think we are saying the same thing. I never said that "small jets" burn less fuel. I said regional aircraft - i was referring to those same large turboprops you are. I guess I just didn't make that clear.

And I wasn't referring to the replacement of mainline 737's at all, I was thinking more along the lines of the MD80 and DC9 fleets that I believe will be replaced by large regional jets. In other words I think we are going to see a decrease in the size of mainline domestic fleets and a further increase in the regional fleets. In the long term though something will have to give because as oil supplies disappear over the next 20-30 years oil will become too expensive to use for aircraft at all. I certainly don't think we are ever going to see things return to the way they were last century.

Actually, the fuel burns of an EMB170/190 and a 737 are pretty similar. The difference lies in the crew costs. If there is a shifting of flying to the regionals (and there better not be) it isn't because they burn less gas.

I refer you to my post above. I don't think you can say that the fuel burn of an old northwest DC9 is similiar to that of an E170. Labor costs are no longer the largest expense for airlines - whether you are talking about regionals or majors - oil is.

PS: you guys should try this... it makes flightinfo much better...

Remove user from ignore list
John Pennekamp This message is hidden because John Pennekamp is on your ignore list.

That'd be nice, but fantasizing about ridiculously unrealistic business models isn't going to help anything. Deregulation is ancient history.

The unfortunate reality is that SWA has largely covered the markets which support 737 operations. What's left for them is international and small sub-737 towns. They can't take a 73 into Podunk Falls because the competion already uses RJs there...a 73 can't operate economically in a 50-70 seat market even with a SWA paint job. The only way to tap the vast RJ market is...with RJs.

Megadeth, you know better.

Actually, you put an E-190 in there and you will eat the rj for lunch! It will only take one flight on the E190, and people will be heading away from the rj. :D

Actually, you put an E-190 in there and you will eat the rj for lunch! It will only take one flight on the E190, and people will be heading away from the rj. :D

No one heads away from any aircraft. Most people have no idea what they are flying on or what (contract carrier) they are on. They just look for the best ticket price

Then you will hear them say "I'll never fly Delta again!".

And in three months, when little Bobby heads off to grandmas, you can bet they will buy the cheapest ticket on expedia wether its Delta or BFE airlines. Its all about the $$$$.

Then you will hear them say "I'll never fly Delta again!".

They always say that. Right up until Delta has the cheapest ticket, they they "decide" to "give Delta one more chance". There is no true brand loyalty in the modern airline market.

Latest resources

Back