• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest announces IAH and MSP bases.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Failure to strike. And how many people that fit that description do you have on property?

We have pilots who failed to strike and who crossed the picket line. I don't know what your point is? It's an unfortunate thing to have expertise in this area, but we most certainly do. We are not confused about what does and does not make somebody a scab or what constitutes a scab operation.

We have pilots who failed to strike and who crossed the picket line. I don't know what your point is? It's an unfortunate thing to have expertise in this area, but we most certainly do. We are not confused about what does and does not make somebody a scab or what constitutes a scab operation.

My point is that you seem to like throwing that word around when you have some of the very same on site that actually crossed picket lines. SkyWest has been flying these airplanes for the past 6 years. Unless I'm missing something, a picket line is not being crossed now nor has it ever been.

Three things will earn the title "scab". Failure to strike. Replace a striking worker. And failure to join a labor union. (look up the term on any labor specific website) Skywest has had 3 votes and they refuse to join. Additionally, the 3rd criteria speaks to the class warfare that exists with chronically low pay in an operation that is non union and is engaged in drawing down union workers. When Skywest violates the CAL scope clause they will become the perfect example of the 3rd criteria.
on point 3: what about the hundreds of folks at Skywest who voted yes for alpa?

on point 3: what about the hundreds of folks at Skywest who voted yes for alpa?

CAL and UAL ALPA are trying to get a plan together. We have asked CAL to give us the legal basis for how they believe they can operate this flying legally. They can't. I think it would be prudent for Skywest pilot leaders (including XJT, ASA) to ask their mgts the same question. Skywest is hanging you out to dry. No pilot group should be asked to willfully break another groups legal contract.

At this moment nothing is going to happen, this is all in the works. CAL and UAL pilots are angry and we want to see our scope honored. However, we will be careful to not cause detriment to anybody that should not be. What is going on right now is discussion, the managing of expectations, and initial social enforcement. *Edit* when/if the line get's drawn, you'll know it. No one wants to ambush anybody with a new title. We all know there are a lot of great pilots involved that don't desreve that.

Last edited:
My point is that you seem to like throwing that word around when you have some of the very same on site that actually crossed picket lines. SkyWest has been flying these airplanes for the past 6 years. Unless I'm missing something, a picket line is not being crossed now nor has it ever been.

I hear what you are saying. We've got those pilots. What I can tell you is this: We have to be consistent. ALPA has let some pilots skate, and others they have not. I don't know for sure how this will pan out.

No one on our side begrudges anything the Skywest pilot group has earned. If they've had 70 seat airplanes for 6 years that's great. But they haven't been flying them for CAL. We have a scope clause and we are not going to give it up. You would want the same for yourselves I'm sure. This isn't a greed thing on our part. We don't have enough work to go around. We have coworkers who are furloughed and have no income. Scope this time isn't something some overindulged, underworked mainline louse from the late 80s early 90s gives away for some premium pay for a very few. We are trying to take care of our coworkers and their families.

Flop, unless your name is Wendy Morse or Jay Pierce (it's not), you have no right to be speaking for your pilot group with all your "we this" and "we that"! In fact, I think you may be encroaching upon Article VIII territory by continuing to do so. You need to read ALPA's Constitution and Bylaws if that means nothing to you. Then you might want to lie low for a while.

Why don't you just go take some Valium and stop embarrassing your pilot groups. All you're doing is stoking a fire that doesn't need to be stoked. None of your threats here will change one thing about it anyhow. SkyWest is non union. If they refuse the flights, they get fired. Period. The SkyWest pilots are not going to fall on their swords for you, especially the way you're acting. Grow up.

Again, why no talk of Republic? They will be doing the SAME 70 seat flying out EWR and IAH. Do they get a pass because they are Teamsters? If CAL and/or UAL strike over this, SkyWest pilots will honor their picket line. Trust me.

Any word from CAL or UAL ALPA about this flying? I know they are looking into it, but what have they found out?

--SP

If ALPA can not handle a direct violation of our scope clause... What can we expect of them? If ALPA does nothing then we should seriously consider a petition to recall.. Those of us who may be lucky enought to still have a job...

Latest resources

Back