• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest and ASA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As soon as one airplane is transfered to Skywest from ASA. A petition for single carrier status will be filed.

701EV

yo

Willy21 said:
There is more to this than what ASA rates are vs. Skywest's rates. I need some help from the Skywest guys but I believe that Skywest has trip and/or duty regs that allow them to get paid more hours a month than ASA pilots. If that is true then looking at rates alone will not paint a complete picture as to which group gets paid more.

As for the section of ASA's contract that deals with merger protection when ASA is bought by another company,

3. "Upon the announcement of any transaction that is intended to result in the consolidation of the Company with another carrier that affects the seniority rights of pilots on the Seniority List," Moving 70 seaters to Skywest will affect every pilot on the ASA seniority list (a move back to the 50 seater which would mean less pay, less airplanes would result in less pilots needed and maybe furloughs, the list goes on). If that happens then "the parties will meet promptly to discuss the appropriate steps to be taken consistent with this Agreement, e.g., to negotiate an appropriate fence agreement and to implement a seniority integration process as provided for in paragraph E.1. or E.2., above."

I think that states what must happen per our current contract. In short, putting the Skywest logo on an ASA airplane or an ASA logo on a Skywest airplane has many legal road hazards to clear. There is a lot more to the puzzle then just switching airplanes from one carrier to the other.

We have a 3:45 min. daily guarantee

Well if they want to merge us... let's do it... I'm young. If I'm going to be thrown to the bottom of the list I want to get it over with. If it is a race to the bottom then screw it I want to win. I've seen AirWhiskey, ACA, Comair, etc... Between them or CHQ or Mesa I hate to say it but I'd rather be a Captain in a week at CHQ than on the street with a great pay scale at Comair. The new ASA contract will have no pay raise Delta and NWA will assure that by having lower payscales than we currently do. (100 seat)
Fighting the good fight and raising the bar sound great if you are still employed. I would rather try to position ASA and Skywest as the largest feeder in the USA... Then when the smoke clears and there are only a couple feeders... Muscle them for money, QOL, etc.

One point that hasn't been made, it will cost a substantial amount to pay moving costs to all the management people, pilots, and FAs to move back to ATL. How that compares to over all cost savings for having someone operate the same aircraft for less, I don't know.

Grassstrippilot said:
One point that hasn't been made, it will cost a substantial amount to pay moving costs to all the management people, pilots, and FAs to move back to ATL. How that compares to over all cost savings for having someone operate the same aircraft for less, I don't know.

Look at what happened when ASA closed DFW, we lost more pilots than mgmt had thought. That made it hard to keep staffing levels where they needed to be. SLC has a lot of DFW pilots that might not want to move twice in less than 18 months. We just got our training department caught up on training cycles, don't think they want to get behind again. Closing down the base, I think it will happen in time, but it is more than just moving costs that will determine the time.

As for the airplanes, for Skywest to operate the 700 in SLC they would have to get some from the factory. Airplanes won't just be moved from ASA to Skywest. It is more than just operating costs that mgmt has to look at.

Last edited:
Duty guarantee minimum 1.0hr pay for every two hours of scheduled duty.
Premium guarantee if the trip is originally scheduled for more than 12 hours you'll get 1 hour of pay for each duty hour past 12. ie 13 hours of duty = min 7.0 hours of pay, 14 hours duty= mininmum 8.0 hours pay. Again this is all off scheduled time. If you show up for duty day scheduled for 6 hours and it runs to 14 these guarantees don't apply. Pay per leg based on the greater of actual flight time or historical credit. Full pay for cancellations (except in certain situations while on reserve) and full pay for all deadheads. Junior man trips pay time and a half and are not mandatory. If you are pulled off a trip for training you'll receive the greater value between the two.

Last edited:
Socalplt said:
Duty guarantee minimum 1.0hr pay for every two hours of scheduled duty.
Premium guarantee if the trip is originally scheduled for more than 12 hours you'll get 1 hour of pay for each duty hour past 12. ie 13 hours of duty = min 7.0 hours of pay, 14 hours duty= mininmum 8.0 hours pay. Again this is all off scheduled time. If you show up for duty day scheduled for 6 hours and it runs to 14 these guarantees don't apply. Pay per leg based on the greater of actual flight time or historical credit. Full pay for cancellations (except in certain situations while on reserve) and full pay for all deadheads. Junior man trips pay time and a half and are not mandatory. If you are pulled off a trip for training you'll receive the greater value between the two.

I'm alrealdy at over 900 hours of pay for 600-650 of block for the year.

With contract language like that......ASA is MUCH CHEAPER than SKW in terms of overall compensation! Everybody needs to quit looking at hourly costs when determining overall compensation. Other factors such as insurance, retirement or 401k contributions all factor into overall labor costs! And even still, lets not forget that crew costs differences is minimal in determining which company has the cheapest costs!!!!! WE PILOTS NEED TO UNDERSTAND THIS!!! Comair has some of the highest crew costs, but overall low costs....

Anyway, we at ASA get our hourly rate, block or better.....PERIOD! Time and 1/2 only for a reschedule outside our footprint. Nothing more. Sounds like SKYW has an overall better compensation package, buy hey....3 1/6 years into negotiations and we arent even to those "small" items yet!!!

ASA has nothing like that in our contract at this time. Skywest might not have the 70 seat rate that ASA does, but I think I would take you work rules over ours anyday. In the end I think you would see that a Skywest pilot makes more than an ASA pilot.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back