Skywest..ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
flylowman said:
Dude, that other airline is probably ALPA.

Darn right it is. At SkyWest many of us prefer to let other airlines do the heavy lifting. We have thrived this way for 35 years no need to change it now.

duck killer said:
That is a lie plain and simple. Not a half truth, not a shade of gray but a F#CKING LIE.

That has never happeend before. The recent "pay proposal" sales pitch didn't include any airilnes that paid better than us (XJT, Comair et all.)

You ORD based?

XJT had not signed their extension yet at the time of our pay proposal. We still need to wait for a few other airlines to raise their pay. Once we can assure we stay competitive then we can leap frog above the other airlines without wasting our money on ALPA. Yes I am based in ORD. I still have an open invitation for anyone who wants to know who I am to come to chicago for my "Good Riddance ALPA" BBQ when the union drive fails. I will serve a lot better food than ALPA does however.

Ski_Bum said:
what can I do for ALPA?

Why should anyone have to do $hit for ALPA? The pilots are the ones paying the money its ALPAs job to get off their butts and get to work. Tell them to get their nose out of the politicians pooper and start working. Why pay money to an organization that is just gonna sit there spending your dues money on liquid lunches ? Then when you even question them they say the same tired cliches. YOU are ALPA blah blah blah. ALPA created those cheesy cliches to hide the fact they are a worthless, lazy, corrupt organization.

So basically you are telling us if we vote in ALPA we are gonna have to waste our money every month then get lectured about how we all need to get involved even though we pay the money? What a joke, thanks though you just helped ALPA lose even more votes here at SkyWest. If the pilots are paying all this money they shouldn't have to lift one finger. Boy the union has you guys brainwashed pretty good. Nice frosty ALPA koolaid. Sorry the SkyWest koolaid is the correct and better koolaid.

Lots of talk but no action. So when do ASA pilots get their contract? Remember this.........Well done is better than well said (B. Franklin)!

GO alpa?

Yet, time and again, you attempt to speak for me.

Here is another example. Letter just dropped today by the OC.

Dear Fellow SkyWest Pilots,

As you may recall, the members of the SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee sent a letter to Brad Holt, Vice-President Flight Operations, on March 15, 2007 requesting a meeting to discuss our right to hear about and discuss the benefits of union representation. In that letter, we requested that SkyWest management give us access to the crewroom and other non-work related common areas for the purpose of distributing information about our organizing effort. We also offered to meet with Brad to discuss implementing our requests. Brad did not respond to our request or our offer to meet with him.

We felt that a reasonable next step was to follow up with Brad by phone. We contacted him last week and left a message on his voicemail. Todd Emerson, General Counsel for Operations, returned our call and informed us that it was management’s belief that they had no responsibility to grant us the access we requested, and therefore Brad would not meet with us.

We regret that management has chosen this path. Our request did not seek any special privileges or concessions; we only sought to exercise the rights of self-determination and organization guaranteed to us by the Railway Labor Act. The Railway Labor Act promotes and protects open and frank discussion about unionization and forbids management from interfering with or discriminating against supporters of ALPA in the exercise of those rights. We believe that SkyWest is violating our rights by barring us from use of common areas to provide information on our organizing effort.

We are currently discussing what next steps can be taken to resolve this conflict. Although we hope the issue can be resolved amicably, we are prepared to take the necessary steps to protect the basic rights of all SkyWest pilots.

The SkyWest Pilots ALPA Organizing Committee

Who the hell do these people think they are? Have any pilots complained about the lack of ALPA information available? They call us all the time, they are always talking to newhires, they have fliers everywhere. Did they have access to V-files during the last campaign? If not why didn't they complain then? There is also a right to not be bombarded with union crap. These guys are really something else. I have never heard any pilot complain about the stuff these guys are whining about. What a waste of resources. There is no where in the RLA that says the company has to help ALPA get voted in. That is ALPAs job to convince us to vote for them. So far they are doing a piss poor job, especially with letters like this.

The tone just keeps getting more and more hostile. More and more pilots are getting fed up with crap like this. They are only hurting their cause not helping it. BTW still waiting for that VARS update that was due over a week ago. They are terrible at keeping promises but good at trying to ruin our relationship with management.

Last edited:
Newman I am in the same ORD base as you, the pilots I speak to (aside from the new hires) are mostly supportive of the campaign. Who the hell do you think YOU are acting like you speak for any of us? More than half the cards have been turned in, that is 1250 cards from guys who have been here longer than 3 years mostly. Its the "this is better than my last job at Mesa/TSA/Etc" that needs to see the big picture.

The tone just keeps getting more and more hostile. More and more pilots are getting fed up with crap like this. They are only hurting their cause not helping it. BTW still waiting for that VARS update that was due over a week ago. They are terrible at keeping promises but good at trying to ruin our relationship with management.

By the end of the year it won't matter what the OC does or doesn't do.

When you want your blanket party it will be too late.

Darn right it is. At SkyWest many of us prefer to let other airlines do the heavy lifting. We have thrived this way for 35 years no need to change it now.

Once again, you loudly proclaim you want to reap all the benefits from union airlines doing the dirty work and fighting for pay and workrule improvement without any of the liability or downside risk. You bash ALPA incessantly yet you are too cowardly to accept the challenge of championing your own cause and are content with whatever Atkin and Co. benevolently decides to give you.

You're nothing, if not consistent...consistently stupid, consistently greedy, consistently self-centered.

By the end of the year it won't matter what the OC does or doesn't do.

You are correct because they either will get voted down or they will be stomping their feet that they don't have enough cards yet. 50% may have turned in the cards. During the drive in 1999 some 70-75% turned their cards in and the drive still failed. there were a lot less pilots in 1999 than in 2007. I am already getting my grill cleaned off for the GOODBYE ALPA 2007 BBQ, it may be 2008 depending on how long they drag their feet. They are clearly too scared to hold an election even with 50% of the cards back. They know this is a battle they can not win. They have already set the tone as to how they will behave by these ridiculous rants to BH and the pilots about not getting enough access. The company can not interfere but they do not have to assist in the union drive. The law is clear.

Dude I'm really beginning to think your not ORD, I think your really SGU. Or do you plan on fast tracking your way into a Mgmnt. position if the drive fails. Do us all a favor newman- Go jet is hiring street captains..

It doesn't matter who ya work for. alpa won't help you! Tell us, who have they helped since 911?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back