• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest..ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How about we all stand togeather to get things done across the board, at ALL carriers. For some reason you are thinking ALPA is a menacing enemy that is there to rape and pillage- simply not true.

I agree with you 100%. We should stand together as a big group. But why do we HAVE to be ALPA to stand together? It sounds to me that everybody thinks skwy pilots are worthless unless they have ALPA.

Other ALPA pilots believe that your non-union airline is more competitive when it comes to reciving CPA's and view your ALPA drive as self survival for them more than yourselfs.

ERJFO, You have a good point. I understand that it is a fear many pilots have. I just don't think it is all true. Mesa just got awarded 14 CRJ's for Delta. Mesa also had bid for the midwest flying. They were cheaper than SKYW. The reason SKYW got that contract is because of a superior service, not because we were non-union. CHQ, SKYW, MESA bid for the continental flying, but CHQ got it. They are Union.
I just don't find the facts to back up the theory that our non-union airline is hurting other airlines strictly because we are non-union.

Has anybody thought about how bad it will be at SkyWest if we get ALPA voted until the time we have our first contract?

And judging by the blazing pace at ASA, let optimistically say 4 years. The now Policy Manual becomes the defacto contract until a new is negotiated and voted in.

So how do all you ALPA advocates expect to get another job somewhere else when you've been fired from SkyWest? Because I can tell you that for some of you on the OC, that's just what is going to happen.

Good Luck-

Any of the "other airlines" ALPA pilots here, tell me something:
Why does ALPA care so much for SKYW? Why do they want ALPA here? Is it because we need a better contract? Is it because we need better quality of life?
Somebody posted that PBS is giving you 6 on 2 off? Show me how many lines are 6 on 2 off. Plus, what are you bidding? If they are bidding for "max flight/block hours" they are getting what they are asking for. I came from MESA( an ALPA carrier for those that don't know). 10 year captains could hold a line at the most junior base (IAD), but only 6 on 2 off. That's 10 years a ALPA carrier. What has ALPA done for them? NOTHING!
Don't give me that crap that ALPA is trying to come over here because they care for our quality of life.
I said it once and I will say it again. If they care that much, spend their time and efforts on those airlines that they already represent and THEN come talk to us.
Is because they want us to be "part of the brotherhood"? To be united together? How come I don't see an ALPA drive @ UPS? @ SWA? Are they not good enough to be part of the "brotherhood"?:angryfire

THAT was the cost of killing Freedom's seperate list. But you KNEW that and try to blame ALPA for it.......

BLAME JO.

OR you can BLAME RAMOS..........everybody at TSA does :)

THAT was the cost of killing Freedom's seperate list. But you KNEW that and try to blame ALPA for it.......

BLAME JO.

OR you can BLAME RAMOS..........everybody at TSA does :)

Freedom wouldn't have been created if the USAir scope clause hadn't restricted Mesa from operating the 900s for America West.... but then you KNEW that and try to cover for ALPA's failed scope policies. Sure JO took advantage of the situation, but that should have been anticipated.... something ALPA is very poor at........

Has anybody thought about how bad it will be at SkyWest if we get ALPA voted until the time we have our first contract?

And judging by the blazing pace at ASA, let optimistically say 4 years. The now Policy Manual becomes the defacto contract until a new is negotiated and voted in.

So how do all you ALPA advocates expect to get another job somewhere else when you've been fired from SkyWest? Because I can tell you that for some of you on the OC, that's just what is going to happen.

Good Luck-

CFIT,

Do you want to reconsider your post? First of all, the people on the OC are the only ones who have any protection from being fired at Skywest. The company can not fire you for your organizing efforts. They could try, but that's ground for wrongfull termination. Secondly, what is this phobia about the company not being able to change the policy manual until a contract is settled? I see that as a good thing. In the last few years have you seen the manual changed for the better? I haven't. Every single change has taken away some benefit, or reduced our QOL.

I'm not at all in love with ALPA at the regionals, but I had to reply to your post.

SSDD,
I would be very worried if I was someone on the OC, everybody makes mistakes and management can look at things differently depending on their feelings about your conduct.

The policy manual is written very open to interpretation, and thus will be taken to the companies benefit.

I honestly fear what this place will be like if ALPA gets voted in and the 3-4 years it takes to get a contract. I have been told by someone in upper management that they can easily stretch out contract negotiations for 4 years, during which the company would greatly benefit.

It would be easy for management to drag out negotiations for over 4 years. Here at ASA, we have been negotiating for almost 5 years, and that isn't for a new contract. Starting from scratch could easily take longer. In addition, the first contracts at regionals don't look very good. He!!, sometimes the second and third don't look as good as you guys currently have it.....

I don't know if you were here during the last union drive, or was it the one before? But anyways AC was on the OC and the company fired him for some BS excuse over security screening in BTM. It took a while, but he got a pretty good $$$ settlement.

Just food for thought.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back