SkyWest ALPA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DenverCrashpad said:
No Alpa. No Teamsters. Yes to a Union though.

The only thing that is going to fix the regional industry is to have ALL of us represented by the same union. Having a union at SKYW that is not ALPA does very little in my opinion to bring the regional industry the power it needs to fight the pay to play managements that we now have. We all need to be one whether it be ALPA, Teamsters, or whatever. Since most of us are already ALPA, it would be easier for those who are not to join the majority. And if ALPA sucked at your other airline, it sucked because your elected reps sucked. XJT ALPA has done an outstanding job the last few years and I know the Teamsters or an in-house union would not have done nearly as well. The resources of ALPA are unmatched by other unions when it comes to the airline biz. Those who hate ALPA are a very vocal minority so don't think they are the majority.

Truckdriver said:
XJT ALPA has done an outstanding job the last few years and I know the Teamsters or an in-house union would not have done nearly as well.

Yeah you wouldn't want Teamsters because you could end up like these guys:

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/regional/horizon-air-2005030572.htm

or these guys:

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/charter/world-2005030695.htm

or even worse yet:

http://www.airlinepilotcentral.com/airlines/fractional/netjets-20050307109.htm

Face it Truckdriver. You don't have any idea how well IBT or an in-house would have fared. That's purely speculation on your part, isn't it? What do these three examples have in common? Hmmmm. Let's analyze it for a minute. Wait a second. I've got it figured out now. Each of those pilot groups are the most highly compensated within their sector of the industry. Hard to argue with success isn't it? I'm not a big fan of the IBT but you can't ignore their ability to negotiate industry leading contracts. The disadvantage of IBT is that they lack the aviation specific resources of ALPA.

So, Dave B... you are a SkyWest Captain. Are you in favor of voting in ALPA?

I would say wait until you see what hapens with the ASA contract. You dont want alpa right now. Every regional is taking a pay cut. Voting in alpa at SkyWest will be like voting in pay cuts. Th first one will be the 1.2% union due, followed by a paycut to get back to industry avrage. Look before you jump into the alpa mess right now.

A year ago, maybe ALPA would have had a chance. In the present environment in the industry and at SkyWest, I don't see it happening. ALPA continues to exhibit its impotence and lack of leadership. I just don't see SkyWest pilots drinking that koolaid.

Just my take, but feel free to flame away...

amcnd said:
I would say wait until you see what hapens with the ASA contract. You dont want alpa right now. Every regional is taking a pay cut. Voting in alpa at SkyWest will be like voting in pay cuts. Th first one will be the 1.2% union due, followed by a paycut to get back to industry avrage. Look before you jump into the alpa mess right now.

I thought ALPA dues were 1.95%, did I miss something?

Scott

SkyWest pilots, before you are entranced with comments like "fraternally yours" realize the current situation you have now and the consequences of becoming ALPA. Take a good look(whole picture) at similiar regionals represented by ALPA and decide if thats what you want.

Most of the RAH RAH ALPA pilots I have run into at SkWest would find somthing to complain about lounging in an adirondack chair with a cold bud in Hawaii. Look, I would like: an enforcable contract / better pay / commuter policy, but if you think by voting in ALPA it's automatic, please do more homework.

amcnd said:

How does not voting in ALPA guarantee not taking a paycut?

Face it, if SkyWest wants a 10% paycut tomorrow for you guys, there's not a thing you can do about it except for quit. If they want a 10% paycut for ASA guys, they have to contend with our union. Our union has already said that they are not going to accept a concessionary contract.

Dave Benjamin said:
Face it Truckdriver. You don't have any idea how well IBT or an in-house would have fared. That's purely speculation on your part, isn't it?

Of course it is speculation because we aren't represented by IBT. We were however represented by an in-house union in 1998 and anyone at XJT can tell you how that went. ALPA secured XJT with an industry leading contract in the absolute worst airline environment ever. XJT has a better contract than any other regional airline hands down. If ALPA got us an industry leading contract why would I even want to speculate on how the IBT would have done? You mentioned the biggest disadvantage of IBT or an in-house union and that is the lack of resources that are aviation specific. If I was a truckdriver I wouldn't want ALPA representing me, and since I'm a pilot I sure as he!! don't want the IBT representing me.

ya buoy said:
Look, I would like: an enforcable contract / better pay / commuter policy, but if you think by voting in ALPA it's automatic, please do more homework.

It took ALPA two years to secure an industry leading contract at XJT. How long have you been waiting for an enforceable contract, better pay, and a commuter policy? ALPA may be a faster route than SWAPA.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back