• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skywest 900s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think we should take ALL the seats out and do vomit comet flights. Thats the new plan!!

Or take them all out and fly for free. Problem solved!!

Bluto said:
If you really believe that you've got some serious logic problems. You really don't think ASA could and would negotiate a higher rate for a 747 with 70-seats? That's ridiculous.

Under what premise? The extra revenue it brings in? Gross weight? A 70 seater is a 70 seater the EMB 170 is an overgrown CR7 is a Q400. So the new 70 seaters SKYW is getting will be flown at the current rate.

Sweptback,

Those authorizations, like the international routes, can easily be transferred to Inc., and then to whichever subsidiary, they deen appropiate. Once the approval has been obtained, the transfer is just a matter of paperwork.

:rolleyes:ssdd, I don't think that it will be that simple. Bet then again....who knows. I don't really care. Those airplanes were NEVER coming to ASA and we KNEW IT!! Just another mgmnt tactic! We'll see what happens after the strike vote!

Bluto, it is GROSS WEIGHT!! So if you are flying a 70 747, you can BET they would have tons of cargo on it...which by the way, makes a lot more revenue than pax and yet you would STILL take 70 seat pay. YOU are CRAZY!!!

scarlet said:
I think it is called SCABs

ASA announced May 8th we were getting the 76 seaters--and now SKywest getting them, b/c they are cheaper and un-unionized..and ASA PILOTS should take a pay cut with the company making 13% profit--higher than any other business in the world, even more than the oil companies at 10%....
seems like a good place to ask a couple questions...

13% higher than any other business?? The drug companies, software companies, banks, and others make a hell of a lot more than 13% OPERATING profit.

Now that I'm past that... I hear a lot of guys around the crew room use the term "record profits." What are we comparing that to?

Relative to before being purchased by Delta? We are not in the same business.

Relative to the jet years of Delta ownership? Our financials were burried so deep in the Delta shell game that it would take many forensic accountants a long time to figure that one out. Ask Comair, profitable before BK and in the 1113 filings losses of $130m. I know not all on paper, but losing that kind of $$ overnight is just 'fuzzy' math.

The current numbers that we see coming form SkyW quarterlies are not apples to apples either. They bought us, the second largest airline at the world's businest airport (and we serve as a feed to the largest). Of course their #'s are up over 100%. If we want to use this (the best indicator) we need to wait a couple years to get enough data to draw an accurate conclusion.

Playing Devil's Advocate, on top of only quoting OPERAING profit and not total profit, we really have no numbers to compare our results to. I know there are those who just repeat the babble because they only believe the spin that acks their opinion (either ALPA or mgmt, yes BOTH spin). But, how are we (ALPA and Pilots) coming up with the term "record profits" and using it with a straight face with nothing to really compare it to?

Last edited:
I hear rumors from high up that once those 900 are in full swing, JA will get some 73's for you guys. At the same pay of course.

Tomct said:
Bluto, it is GROSS WEIGHT!! So if you are flying a 70 747, you can BET they would have tons of cargo on it...which by the way, makes a lot more revenue than pax and yet you would STILL take 70 seat pay. YOU are CRAZY!!!
What? I'm crazy? Did you even read my post? It sounds like you just agreed with me there sparky. FYI, many SkyWest crews have never flown anything larger than a 50-seat jet for 50-seat pay, by choice. So, for those of us who avoid the 70, and weren't here to vote on the ridiculous TA, maybe you could be a little less abusive. You really have no idea who you're talking to on here. You seem pretty comfortable up on your high horse. You don't see us calling you a bottom-feeder for your sub-par 50-seat rates, do you?

In fact, I was defending ASA pilots, saying you would obviously be able to negotiate higher rates for the theoretical 70-seat 747. Personally, I think any 90-seater (with 5, 10, or 76 seats in it) is a detriment to the career progression of any regional pilot. I'd rather see more props and fewer jets at all the regionals. But these decisions are made by management at both airlines and only the mainline Delta pilots got to vote on it. So what do you expect us to do? Have a union drive? Check. Be upset about it? Double-check. In the mean time, why don't you quit your baseless criticism and get your own house in order before blaming all your woes on others.

All that can be asked is that SkyWest pilots pay attention to the happenings at ASA. It does have direct bearing on your futures.

We're paying attention. Though, most SkyWest pilots will refrain from telling you how to vote, how to feel, and how to think, because we know that it is your pilot group's responsibility, not ours. We're all in this together, but we each have to make our own decisions.

Latest resources

Back