Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYW profits plunge, still no fourlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skywest isn't furloughing because they are NON union. ASA is furloughing because they are union.

Not likely.
Here is my two cents...

ASA has one hub and aircraft that only require differences training which makes furlough a cheap alternative. SkyWest has 15 bases, 2 aircraft types, and a furlough would cost more than the benefit (both monetary and morale). Most of the lower 200 are on the EMB and if furloughed would have a cascade effect on most of the seniority list. If SkyWest only had one or two bases, with a common type, I would bet that SkyWest would have already furloughed. Bean counters run this airline. Cheap bean counters.

Not likely.
Here is my two cents...

ASA has one hub and aircraft that only require differences training which makes furlough a cheap alternative. SkyWest has 15 bases, 2 aircraft types, and a furlough would cost more than the benefit (both monetary and morale). Most of the lower 200 are on the EMB and if furloughed would have a cascade effect on most of the seniority list. If SkyWest only had one or two bases, with a common type, I would bet that SkyWest would have already furloughed. Bean counters run this airline. Cheap bean counters.

Does Skywest reimburse moving expenses if such a furlough were to occour, displacing pilots from one domacile to another?

You're so funny Trojan. I know Brad didn't say such things. I've been at Skywest along time and I know Brad personally. I'm not buddies with him but I do know him and even went flying with him from St. George to Phoenix and back in a C206 once. I just saw Brad barely 2 weeks ago in St. George. Brad has his house in St. George, his family still lives here and he spends alot of his time in St. George and still manages to run ASA.

If ASA fails Skywest fails. Are you kidding? How did Skywest manage all these years on it's own before it bought ASA? I don't think Skywest is worried about United or Delta. If you did speak to Brad did he tell you about the contingency plans Skywest has if United went under? It's not a secret. Ask him next time. No guarantee it will work but it's a viable one.

Employees are not leaving Skywest for ASA because they are worried about Skywest going under. Brad has been bringing them there to help out cause your own management sucks. Brad told me afew of months ago that in time he may have to fire anyone in a managerial position and change the mindset there.

Also do you know how Skywest, ASA and the holding company Skywest, Inc is set up? The holding company is in St. George. Skywest, Inc only has 2 employees, Jerry Atkin and the CFO(can't remember his name). Almost all administrated work for the holding company is done by Skywest employees. ASA submits its records to Skywest and Skywest personel does the auditing for Skywest, Inc. I guess Jerry doesn't trust ASA to do it's own. ASA pays 60% of Jerry's and the CFO salary, Skywest pays 40% and ASA pays Skywest a fee to do it's records. I would bet that any Skywest personel that is in Atlanta doing work for ASA is still a Skywest employee. I can assure you that Skywest employees at HQ don't want to be employed by ASA. They are extremely loyal people.

I know you're full of sh1t that you said you talked to Brad but if you did then you could again, so next time why don't you ask him why he's still on the Skywest senority list.

What else do you want to know?

Erlanger, I'll concur with what USC said regarding Brad and his approachability. He puts himself out there for the ASA employees to question, openly.

In regard to the fabled Skywest plan "B" if United tanks, it's being kept under lock and key. When I asked Brad personally about this contingency, he said that there is a plan in place. My guess is the hostile take over of flying at another airline through a buy in/buy out. Frankly, Skywest has the money it needs to do just about anything it wants. If you think Skywest Inc would eliminate ASA and shuffle Skywest Airlines over to do 100% of the Delta Connection flying out of Atlanta, you're still in for a rude awakening. You'd still have too many pilots and it would still result in a furlough. Besides, that would be a lot of money to spend in order to whittle your company down to less than half it's original size.

Atlantic Southeast Airlines barely made a profit this quarter, not just due to our maintenance issue, but due to our restructuring in Atlanta. We're spending boatloads of cash in order to save money for later and to come out leaner in the long term. Our new "A-tech" building is an example of this. Acars, parking, lounges, etc are further examples of things that are going to trim cost, but will take about 1-2 years to see a return on investment. Hang in there and watch.

Yes, our management does suck- that has been our complaint for the last 30 years. Although, at least George and John were reasonably good at what they did- they were just not employee friendly. The others weren't employee friendly, and were just incompetant. It is not our pilots that were crapping up the operation- at least not since we now have a contract. We're busting tail to pull our weight to ensure ASA gets the job done.

Does Skywest reimburse moving expenses if such a furlough were to occour, displacing pilots from one domacile to another?
Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, SkyWest will reimburse the last person to be displaced. For instance, if you were being involuntarily and said "Can I go to Y domicile?", they might say sure, send you there without moving expenses and displace the junior guy at that domicile. If that person elects another available domicile causing displacement, the same story happens there and so on until the most junior is displaced. That person is reimbursed for a cost per mile IF they stay at the domicile for x months.

If the first one to be displaced says "I'll go where you want me to go." then that person would receive the moving money IF they stayed put for x months.

I really don't see the connection with furlough or non-furlough and being union or not. But, believe what you want. I wll be PMing you later this fall when the other shoe drops. Until then, have a good Summer!
here is a connection for ya'.....alpa's unnecessary delaying of reaching a contract agreement directly leading to the diversion of -900 deliveries to Skywest Airlines and possibly Pinnacle.

But hey, I know, thats comparing apples to apples. Not fair, I know I know.

I miss all of you children at the regionals! You guys are to much, thanks for the read though.

Skywest is the best regional out there. They are the elite. Even their skymag has a section in the back about how they hire the best pilots and well trained pilots with thousands of hours of experience. I'm just waiting till they get their first Airbus or 737 so I can join, though I think it looks like RAH will be the first one to do that.

Skywest is the best regional out there. They are the elite. Even their skymag has a section in the back about how they hire the best pilots and well trained pilots with thousands of hours of experience. I'm just waiting till they get their first Airbus or 737 so I can join, though I think it looks like RAH will be the first one to do that.
From someone who works at Go-Jets!! I love it!

Latest resources

Back