Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYW profits plunge, still no fourlough?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by Browntothebone

Name one (1) Industry that has been more successful with unions. Unfortunately, once the line has been crossed into union representation there is no going back.

Hmmm...

Teachers... Auto Workers... Airline Pilots... ummm..

There has to be at least ONE of the industries in the last decade famous for wage complaints, layoffs, bankruptcies, and closing their doors that is not dominated by unions....

I've got it!! The Screen Actor's Guild! I love the movies and they are still doing great! Whew... I thought it was a lost cause...

Wait a sec. Most SAG members make poverty wages? Shoot... I thought they were all like Tom Cruise and Harrison Ford.

Well... there has to be at least one union driven industry that is better off. Right?

Hmmm...

Teachers... Auto Workers... Airline Pilots... ummm..

There has to be at least ONE of the industries in the last decade famous for wage complaints, layoffs, bankruptcies, and closing their doors that is not dominated by unions....

I've got it!! The Screen Actor's Guild! I love the movies and they are still doing great! Whew... I thought it was a lost cause...

Wait a sec. Most SAG members make poverty wages? Shoot... I thought they were all like Tom Cruise and Harrison Ford.

Well... there has to be at least one union driven industry that is better off. Right?

Longshoremen? I don't know. Just guessing.

Longshoremen? I don't know. Just guessing.

Do longshoremen compete with one another? Do longshoremen have to start all over again at the bottom if they change jobs? Do longshoremen fight with one another over who is stealing who's job....We are definately not the same in this union.....

Do longshoremen compete with one another? Do longshoremen have to start all over again at the bottom if they change jobs? Do longshoremen fight with one another over who is stealing who's job....We are definately not the same in this union.....

Is there a tenet that all Unions are created equal? Here's a bit of history that may answer your questions.
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Early Threats to Unions[/FONT]
Big Business Exploits Racial Strife
Union Breaking
The late 19th century was a time of great economic upheaval which saw periods of alomost full employment and union expansion followed by depression, lower wages, and intense competition for jobs. There were bitter divisions among the Irish immigrants and their "non-white" counterparts ("non-white" is the derogatory term then used to refer to Italian and Southern Mediterranean immigrants). These divisions were to some extent esacerbated and often exploited by big business seeking to turn the unions against themselves. Various unions, such as LUPA and the Knights of Labor, competed with one another, and weak labor leadership was unable to resist increasingly powerful and invincible big business.
" These divisions were to some extent esacerbated and often exploited by big business"
Unions were broken. LUPA was disbanded before the turn of the century. But the survivors fought back. There were countless wildcat and/or organized work stoppages resulting in violence and massive losses in wages. Between 1881 and 1905 there were more than 30,000 strikes.

Latest resources

Back