• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SKYW ALPA convert

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
if you took a poll at ASA, Mesa, Comair, et al about how their QOL and pay has gone over the last 6 years, what do you think they'd say? do you know that you make as much or more than pilots at those companies with the same seniority? your future looks brighter as well, should you chose to stay here. also, though some complaints are certainly valid, I'd venture that you are treated better here talking everything in total compared to them. Doesn't what has happened there and at others give you any pause at all? Before you shout back about what here should give me pause, know that some things do. But I have to be realistic and compare our overall package to what others have.

I like it here and realize that while we have our problems, in the end our deal is better.

Substitute FEDEX and ExpressJet for your picks. Ask the same questions.
Ask CAL and FEDEX why they came back to ALPA.

I like it here and realize that while we have our problems, in the end our deal could be better. I choose not to have my future dictated to me. I want a voice at the table. I want that voice paid for, and beholden to me. ALPA, while far from perfect, is the only viable, effective choice that I can see.

Sapa rep Batha is hillarious in his interpretations....especially this last one about "adminsitrative leader". From the court info M.E. said he was the administrative head of Sapa. Does that mean Condelissa Rice is the Head of the Bush Whitehouse?

JB has been the biggest disapointment to me. I am ashamed to say I voted for him. I cannot ever recall being so hoodwinked as a voter. Talk about a turncoat. I will be leading the charge to oust him when he is up for re-election.

A formal in house Union would be the best route considering we have 2700 pilots.
It may be too late for an in house anything. Sapa already flushed the blue juice plenty of times.

Your pilot group's average income wouldn't allow for enough resources for an effective in-house union, 2700 pilots or not. Dues would have to be excessive (4+ percent). Remember, the A-carriers heavily subsidize the regionals within ALPA. None of the ALPA regionals could ever come close to funding themselves, including the larger ones like EGL and ASA. Skywest would be no different.

JB has been the biggest disapointment to me. I am ashamed to say I voted for him. I cannot ever recall being so hoodwinked as a voter. Talk about a turncoat. I will be leading the charge to oust him when he is up for re-election.
I second that. I would vote to recall him right now if it came to that.

Well I wouldnt beat yourself up too badly about it. Although not too educated J.B. does know how to lay it on thick when running for a position. Wish we could pull some of his comments from when he was running. Its the "I'm going to go in to management swinging until I get you guys what you want and need" rhetoric that gets him elected....then once an incumbant he either dissappears (this is what we commonly refer to as a ME....or Mike E if you will) or does a 180 fighting for the "needs" of management cause this ship is taking on water and if we even want jobs in two years guys like him gotta make the painful decisions....yada yada. Anyway, bottom line is that when he was stumpin to get elected he told you what you wanted to hear.

Livingston and his cronies speaking to the general members who have been complaining about how miserably inept and unresponsive sapa has been are told the following:

"instead of complaining about how inneffective
Sapa is why dont you run for a position and get involved?....use the representative structure that is in place now until if/when some other organization is desired by the majority of pilots"

So someone is very upfront about how skeptical they are about sapa's ability to get things done but throws their towel in the ring anyway and is elected president by the general membership that are tired of the sapa good ol boys club.

Livingston and his cronnies now:

"You pro-Alpa people coming in here trying to infiltrate and overthrough my sapa, how dare you?!"

Livington, Black, Alden and Eisenstat TIME TO GO!!!

Last edited:
Livington, Black, Alden and Eisenstat TIME TO GO!!!

Praise Jesus! The Lord will make it so!

Then those asses will have to make their 105 hours from PBS forced flying just like the rest of us. Serves them right for shoving PBS up our collective cabooses in the first place.

Last edited:
As a former fence sitter........

There is absolutely no way skywest would have the pay and QOL that it has today if it were not for the work, sweat and dues of other ALPA members...

While I have slowly swung my feet over to the other side of the fence, it is no part due to the scare tactics (fins, etc.) from many people on this board. SkyWest is a wonderful place to be and many just want to make it better... Not many buy the argument that "you'll get yours if you don't vote ALPA"!! "JA is just waiting to screw you like he is the ASA folks" If the ALPA vote should fail, I am not too worried that there is some conspiracy to eliminate my job in ten years....we have way too many senior pilots with no hint of that idea in the air

That being said my vote is coming down to an obligation to this industry and those that have fought before, the belief that it will make things better at skywest in the long run (even if it not immediately), and the belief that we all need to be united as professionals if we are ever going to stand up managment. It would be a great year if multiple contracts were due and all the MEC were working together....

My .02$

There is absolutely no way skywest would have the pay and QOL that it has today if it were not for the work, sweat and dues of other ALPA members...

While I have slowly swung my feet over to the other side of the fence, it is no part due to the scare tactics (fins, etc.) from many people on this board. SkyWest is a wonderful place to be and many just want to make it better... Not many buy the argument that "you'll get yours if you don't vote ALPA"!! "JA is just waiting to screw you like he is the ASA folks" If the ALPA vote should fail, I am not too worried that there is some conspiracy to eliminate my job in ten years....we have way too many senior pilots with no hint of that idea in the air

That being said my vote is coming down to an obligation to this industry and those that have fought before, the belief that it will make things better at skywest in the long run (even if it not immediately), and the belief that we all need to be united as professionals if we are ever going to stand up managment. It would be a great year if multiple contracts were due and all the MEC were working together....

My .02$

Amen.

Trojan

you give ALPA the credit for what the market has, does and will dictate. It doesn't matter who negotiated, the results are a reaction to what the market will bear. people who suggest that we'd all make Mesa wages (approved by ALPA via their contract, BTW) or worse assume that we're all idiots and would do this job for whatever we were given. give yourself more credit than that. it's ludicrous to suggest that without the all-mighty ALPA that we'd make $5 bucks/hr. and work 20 days/mo. no we wouldn't. nobody would do this job for that. so employers have to react to market forces to attract and retain employees, while still remaining profitable. that is not a reaction to unions, but to the market. SkyWest has reacted over the years to keep pace with the industry to attract and retain pilots, not to keep up with ALPA. If that were true then everyone else would negotiate for A, then get it. Then we'd negotiate for A, then get it. Then B, then C, and so on. Truth is we have lots of things at SkyWest that are better, so who's trying to keep up with who? BH et al will always give us what they feel like will attract quality employees while keeping the company competitive in the marketplace, whether others in the market are represented by ALPA, SAG, the Girl Scouts or the United Federation of Elephant Dung Scooper Uppers.

That being said my vote is coming down to an obligation to this industry and those that have fought before, the belief that it will make things better at skywest in the long run (even if it not immediately),

I'd love to know what would be better immediately? nothing will change, for years.

and the belief that we all need to be united as professionals if we are ever going to stand up managment.

classic 'Us vs. Them' union mentality. Good luck. While things at SkyWest are by no means perfect, I've worked at a union carrier, have you? are you really that eager to foster and promote that kind of work environment? The feelings of anger, resentment, and wanting to 'stick it' to management will absolutely serve to the detriment of this company.

If you were going to buy an insurance policy, would you feel like it was valuable to hear from others who have bought that policy about what their experience with that company was like? Start asking everyone you can that has come to SkyWest from ALPA carriers about their experience. Don't be simplistic enough to just discredit all of them as wanting a fast upgrade, just happy to fly, etc. Those are stupid arguments and are insulting to all who seek a better life for themselves, their family, etc. by coming here, and are contrary to the supposed good intentions of those support this drive.

If we didn't have things good here, I wouldn't hold the position I do. If I worked for Mesa and wasn't represented, you bet I'd be on board. But they have reacted poorly to the market, and ALPA has allowed it. I don't blame ALPA, because they don't dictate market forces-and they don't prevent them either. That is what people need to understand. Bad things may happen at your company, ALPA or not. ALPA doesn't cause them to happen, and they sure as hell can't prevent them. So in the end, go with what works. Talk to your fellow pilots here that are former ALPA. Talk to guys at other regionals in your same seniority, seat, AC, etc. Compare. I have 3 friends at Express, 2 at Mesa, and 1 each at AWAC, Pinnacle. In our discussions on this topic they all generally agree that we have it pretty good at SkyWest.

I support ALPA for all efforts made towards safety in our profession. If they left it at that, I'd be all for it. It's when they try to dictate and run the business end of things that I diverge.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back