• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skybus update anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re-read this thread.. I don't think many here would have any sympathy for someone taking a job that pays those wages when the direct competition (Southwest, AirTran, and even JB) pay a lot more.. There has to be something done to police our own. I for one, will have very little inclination to hire anyone with Skybus on their resume should I have any say in it.

So you would not hire someone just based on where they worked previously? You'd really stoop that low? Experience is experience regardless of the reason the person took the job. Maybe the pilot has a dying mother who lives in Columbus. Maybe they like Columbus so much and have houses and kids that go the great schools that Columbus has. Maybe they like the idea of being home every night, and having an opportunity to be at the top of seniority. It's sad that you say you would really keep a person from getting a job just because of where they previously work. Some people just needs jobs, period...regardless of what company it is with. I can't speak for the pilots, but Skybus actually pays more for some of the other positions than a lot of the regionals or even majors pay starts out at. You should check yourself dude. It's people like you that make me hate this industry more and more every day. People like you do more damage to destroy aviation and the enthusiasm that used to come with this profession.

So you would not hire someone just based on where they worked previously? You'd really stoop that low? Experience is experience regardless of the reason the person took the job. Maybe the pilot has a dying mother who lives in Columbus. Maybe they like Columbus so much and have houses and kids that go the great schools that Columbus has. Maybe they like the idea of being home every night, and having an opportunity to be at the top of seniority. It's sad that you say you would really keep a person from getting a job just because of where they previously work. Some people just needs jobs, period...regardless of what company it is with. I can't speak for the pilots, but Skybus actually pays more for some of the other positions than a lot of the regionals or even majors pay starts out at. You should check yourself dude. It's people like you that make me hate this industry more and more every day. People like you do more damage to destroy aviation and the enthusiasm that used to come with this profession.

Good post. That's what alot of these as$holes like V7 dont think. They all have the attitude of Why go to skybus when there are sooo many companies out there hiring? Well dumba$$ just b/c Netjets is hiring and they have a CMH base doesnt mean that they are going to hire you. Secondly like aviator said we dont know peoples background, how do you know that the person went to skybus after trying hard to get on with other CMH operators? And skybus was the only one that called.
Dont try to come on here and act as if you have toooo much integrity and you would first become a Hobo before taking a job with Skybus.
Like I said before, Skybus is not the only "low" paying job out there. If you are still demanding that everyone startout making 80K then you are an idiot. A friend of mine recently offered to help me get on with his charter company and fly a GIII in the northeast. I declined it and decided to fly for a regional in the south. Am I a whore for turning down a 60K job for a 20K job? fu** no! But for family and personal reason I cannot move from my home city. So if I ever find out that someone didnt hire me b/c I took a low paying job and just because they had a "thing" with the company...then boy i tell you what, that person will never forget me. That's for sure.
It's one thing to F**K with me, it a totaly different to F**K with my family and their future just b/c you get a RUSH from being a d8ck!

So if I ever find out that someone didnt hire me b/c I took a low paying job and just because they had a "thing" with the company...then boy i tell you what, that person will never forget me. That's for sure.
It's one thing to F**K with me, it a totaly different to F**K with my family and their future just b/c you get a RUSH from being a d8ck!

Maybe there are a lot of guys in the industry who are thinking the same exact thing about the Skybus guys? Maybe the guys in the industry who are struggling just to hold onto the current "low bar" in airline pilot salaries have a "thing" with having to compete with an airline like Skybus that will be using low airline pilot wages to help subsidize its bottom line and steal market share from other carriers? Maybe by taking that low paying job, you're f'ing (your words) with guys at AA, JetBlue, SWA, DAL, NWA, AirTran, Frontier, etc., etc., and their ability to provide for their family and their future?

I don't know if you've every cracked upon any airline's annual report, but if you did, you would notice that labor costs, as a percentage of an airline's total costs, are either their first or second largest expense. When airlines like Skybus come along and grow with labor costs that are half (or more) less than the going rate in the industry, it makes it impossible for other carriers to compete unless they, too, enjoy that low labor cost benefit. What do you think becomes the new "industry standard" rate if Skybus grows and the resultant copycats come and grow?

So maybe those guys who are "f'ing" with you are sitting there, thinking to themselves saying, "Crap, if airlines like Skybus, Allegiant, and Virgin America, etc., etc., start to grow and gain critical mass, there's no way my airline will be able to compete with them when they're paying their employees less than half what I make." Maybe they've been in the industry long enough to see what happened when the "old" LCC's brought airline wages/pensions/work rules to its knees and are smart enough to see that we might see yet another round of cuts in a few years if airlines like Skybus are succesful?

Whether its fair or not, there are many guys in the industry (some in positions on hiring boards) who see yet another possible round of "new" LCC's dragging wages, work rules, and retirements down the drain and they probably won't be too keen on hiring those who they perceive are responsible, again whether they're right or wrong. I hope guys keep that in mind as a possible negative when they sign on the dotted line for operators like Skybus.

P.S. I don't hire or fire at my airline.

Maybe there are a lot of guys in the industry who are thinking the same exact thing about the Skybus guys? Maybe the guys in the industry who are struggling just to hold onto the current "low bar" in airline pilot salaries have a "thing" with having to compete with an airline like Skybus that will be using low airline pilot wages to help subsidize its bottom line and steal market share from other carriers? Maybe by taking that low paying job, you're f'ing (your words) with guys at AA, JetBlue, SWA, DAL, NWA, AirTran, Frontier, etc., etc., and their ability to provide for their family and their future?

I don't know if you've every cracked upon any airline's annual report, but if you did, you would notice that labor costs, as a percentage of an airline's total costs, are either their first or second largest expense. When airlines like Skybus come along and grow with labor costs that are half (or more) less than the going rate in the industry, it makes it impossible for other carriers to compete unless they, too, enjoy that low labor cost benefit. What do you think becomes the new "industry standard" rate if Skybus grows and the resultant copycats come and grow?

So maybe those guys who are "f'ing" with you are sitting there, thinking to themselves saying, "Crap, if airlines like Skybus, Allegiant, and Virgin America, etc., etc., start to grow and gain critical mass, there's no way my airline will be able to compete with them when they're paying their employees less than half what I make." Maybe they've been in the industry long enough to see what happened when the "old" LCC's brought airline wages/pensions/work rules to its knees and are smart enough to see that we might see yet another round of cuts in a few years if airlines like Skybus are succesful?

Whether its fair or not, there are many guys in the industry (some in positions on hiring boards) who see yet another possible round of "new" LCC's dragging wages, work rules, and retirements down the drain and they probably won't be too keen on hiring those who they perceive are responsible, again whether they're right or wrong. I hope guys keep that in mind as a possible negative when they sign on the dotted line for operators like Skybus.

For how long do you actually think that these airlines are going to be able to charge 10 bucks a ticket? At some point they (everyone) is going to have to bump up their ticket prices. With these fuel prices (low cost) carriers will be a thing of the past.

Wah Wah, our industry is full of people dragging the wages down. This is not new problem. Look at fast food places, Grocery Stores, ETC...low wages, not very good work conditions, People bi**c and complain there too, and yeah it sucks dude. I'm not advocating it, but at the end of the day people still have to eat and feed their families.

Wah Wah, our industry is full of people dragging the wages down. This is not new problem. Look at fast food places, Grocery Stores, ETC...low wages, not very good work conditions, People bi**c and complain there too, and yeah it sucks dude. I'm not advocating it, but at the end of the day people still have to eat and feed their families.

Great! So you agree with me? With the help of guys who chose to work for airlines like Skybus, we can all hope to have a future comparable to employees at fast food places and grocery stores.

Great! So you agree with me? With the help of guys who chose to work for airlines like Skybus, we can all hope to have a future comparable to employees at fast food places and grocery stores.

Dude I completely agree with you. I am not saying that I would work at Skybus, Go jets or Virgin, but I am not saying I wouldnt either. I would first apply at my "career" choices, Continental, American, Southwest, FED EX!, but if I was unemployed and no one wanted to lend me a hand to go to these "better paying" companies, then i gotta take what comes first. Like right now for example, I just got on with a regional and I am going to be living in base. But if i was unemployed and no one but Skybus called, do you really think I would tell them to f**k off? do you think I would rather see my wife, baby and I get kicked out of our apartment b/c I cant pay rent. Or do you think i would rather make 30K (not alot but enough) to keep a roof over my families head? Would I try to find another job after being there for a few? Duuuh, of course. But I'm not gonna stand here and judge and bite a hand that someday might feed me.

Dude I completely agree with you. I am not saying that I would work at Skybus, Go jets or Virgin, but I am not saying I wouldnt either. I would first apply at my "career" choices, Continental, American, Southwest, FED EX!, but if I was unemployed and no one wanted to lend me a hand to go to these "better paying" companies, then i gotta take what comes first. Like right now for example, I just got on with a regional and I am going to be living in base. But if i was unemployed and no one but Skybus called, do you really think I would tell them to f**k off? do you think I would rather see my wife, baby and I get kicked out of our apartment b/c I cant pay rent. Or do you think i would rather make 30K (not alot but enough) to keep a roof over my families head? Would I try to find another job after being there for a few? Duuuh, of course. But I'm not gonna stand here and judge and bite a hand that someday might feed me.

Unfortunatley, I'm sure most Skybus pilots will make the same decision you will make too about wanting to go to a career airline. They will want to go to a good "career" airline that has decent pay, work rules, and some sort of retirement. Companies like Continental, Southwest, AMR, etc., have industry competitive pay, work rules and retirement because those are things their employees fought for. Some of those airlines went through EXTREMELY difficult times and still didn't sell out for $65K/year Captains, despite the pressure to do so.

If airlines like Skybus grow and thrive, your "career" choice airlines will also have to pay their pilots Skybus wages in order to be able to compete or they will be out of business. So on one hand you're rationalizing that its OK for someone to take a job at Skybus if it allows them to "see their family" for example, but then you're saying that airlines like Continental, American, and Southwest are good career choice airlines. Unfortunately, I suspect choices like working for Skybus in order to "build experience" & "pay the bills" and eventually having a good "career" job at the Continental's of the world are going to be mutually exclusive. I hope I am wrong.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back