• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skybus update anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
However, if it is a place where a pilot can go and get experience and a rapid upgrade on an Airbus and move on, they will have to raise wages to retain labor.

That is very wishful thinking, my friend. I would say it is an excellent point, but unfortunately it has already proven false at other carriers.

We talking about the 737 LCC operating in the EU out of Ireland? If so, then I'm GREATLY misinformed (or maybe you are).. cause I talked to a CA of theirs recently while in MXP who took home 55,000 UK pounds (which in terms of cost of living in the UK is like $55,000 here).

Here is the link: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=Jobs&sec=careers&ref=10002

And from their website:

Ryanair Pilots are recognised as the best paid short haul pilots in Europe. Senior pilots in Ryanair have excellent remuneration packages as follows:

UK
Eurozone
Captains
Up to £100,000
Up to €130,000​
First Officers (1,500 hrs)
Up to £70,000
Up to €80,000​

At Ryanair there are no seniority lists and there are no complicated salary scales, you can expect to reach these amounts in 3 – 5 years, with more if you take on a line training role.

I did a currency conversion and that's what I came up with, but I could have done it wrong. If I am I apologize. If not then they are paid better than jetBlue or Airtran and not quite as much as Southwest. I don't know what the cost of living is compared to the states.

After reading up on them, I'm a bit suspicious of their "up to" info.. But I have a few close friend from the UK and the tell me that the cost of living over there is pretty much dollar for pound.. in terms of purchase power so that is what I'm going by in terms of low pay.. I also think it's their work rules that make it even worse however.. this doesn't paint too flattering a picture here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryanair

Here is the link: http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/about.php?page=Jobs&sec=careers&ref=10002

And from their website:

Ryanair Pilots are recognised as the best paid short haul pilots in Europe. Senior pilots in Ryanair have excellent remuneration packages as follows:

UK
Eurozone
Captains
Up to £100,000
Up to €130,000​
First Officers (1,500 hrs)
Up to £70,000
Up to €80,000​

At Ryanair there are no seniority lists and there are no complicated salary scales, you can expect to reach these amounts in 3 – 5 years, with more if you take on a line training role.

I did a currency conversion and that's what I came up with, but I could have done it wrong. If I am I apologize. If not then they are paid better than jetBlue or Airtran and not quite as much as Southwest. I don't know what the cost of living is compared to the states.

Ryan Air's Micheal O'Leary makes Jonathan Oreinstein look like a liberal democrat ready to sign the Pilot Career Improvement Act.

With signage on the electrical outlets at Ryan Air HQ that reads "personal Use of company electricity consitutes stealing" any attempt to place Ryan Air in a positive light is foolish and mis informed. The pilots operate, much like us, as indentured servants, paying off school and training loans, bound to work for fear of defualting on loans...

Yea, like I said, the who "up to" makes me wonder.... I mean, maybe the Chief Pilot or DO makes 100,000, and therefore technically it's a true statement... or maybe it's with massive overtime.. We've got a couple of CP's at Gemini that will work a lot of overtime and with their pay at near top scale they'll make "up to" $200,000 with overtime pay... but they'll only have 8 or so days off in a month too!

I wasn't trying to put a positive spin on them, just showing the pay compared to SkyBus!! If they could model that after Ryan it would be a vast improvement.

I've heard the electrical outlet story, and I agree with everything else you all have said.

I wasn't trying to put a positive spin on them, just showing the pay compared to SkyBus!! If they could model that after Ryan it would be a vast improvement.

I've heard the electrical outlet story, and I agree with everything else you all have said.

actually, thanks a lot for your serious and useful contribution to the thread.. I wasn't reading anything into your post defending them either, no worries.

I personally live and fly for a living in Ireland and I can tell you that RyanAir has really hurt the profession. RyanAir expects their pilots to pay for their own training, these pilots don't get paid during their training or for the first three months on line. Once they fly their max hours for the year they are put on unpaid leave until the next year. The pilots have to pay for their own uniforms as well as their IAA medicals which can cost up to 600 euros. Their pay looks good but after all the expenses it really is crap. RyanAir likes to hire the very low time fo's where I work because they are willing to work for peanuts. Don't be fooled, Skybus will hurt your career in the US.

I personally live and fly for a living in Ireland and I can tell you that RyanAir has really hurt the profession. RyanAir expects their pilots to pay for their own training, these pilots don't get paid during their training or for the first three months on line. Once they fly their max hours for the year they are put on unpaid leave until the next year. The pilots have to pay for their own uniforms as well as their IAA medicals which can cost up to 600 euros. Their pay looks good but after all the expenses it really is crap. RyanAir likes to hire the very low time fo's where I work because they are willing to work for peanuts. Don't be fooled, Skybus will hurt your career in the US.

Wow.. this is a great post! I want to cut and paste it in bold and start a new thread with it! Tempted at least!

Thanks for that great CONTRIBUTION to this thread!

Maybe it can be summed up this way.........Ryan Air's Micheal O'Leary's owns a thoroughbred named 'War of Attrition'.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back