SkyBus gone tonight!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LOL...

Can't meet you in STL, flying with the National Guard this weekend.

LOL..You are a Loadmaster or an FE. Don't you mean you will be RIDING with the guard this week? :laugh:

only to a point. you have to realize that by taking a job that pays so low you will screw yourself in the longrun.
I agree...but, so often on here, people crucify others for doing something for themselves (taking a job that pays below industry standard) instead of something that is "good for pilots as a whole" (my own quote)....they are truly in the minority if they think that everyone (pilots, or even people in general) is going to consider what's best for the group over what's best for themselves....everyone is out for themselves....everyone else is a distant second

Last edited:
I guess i have to disagree. I did not apply to skybus or vx because i thought the pay would drag down the industry. I refused to buy a type rating before my wn interview. had i bought one i would be on line instead of in the pool still, but i have a moral issue with paying for a type rating just to get an interview. i realize that this cost me money, and i wish everyone did what i did, but i still feel good about myself trying to help out the industry a little in my small way. we need to start to come together as pilots, and part of that means outing the pilots that help bring down the industry. I wish alpa would be more proactive on this as well, if they had played their cards right they could have had a lot more influence on situation such as gojets and skybus.

While I hate to see any job losses in this industry and the difficulties they bring to families, I find it hard to sympathize with the Skybus situation. Those salaries were an insult and those who became part of that only contributed to an established issue. Problem is, integrity rarely ranks up there in terms of qualities to be found in this business and, contrary to what many believe, it absolutely has to do with one's integrity. While there are often extenuating circumstances, such as ex-Indy crews that needed to put food on the table, when it comes right down to it, there will always be those who make egotistical decisions in order to fly an airplane, whether airline or business aviation. That's just something that will never change.

I don't think we're that far apart in our thinking....I think that if pilots did stick together better, the industry would be in much better shape...however, we're a long way from reaching that point (I think that "me first" is just human nature)....I applaud you for NOT going and paying for a type rating so you could get a job....I have always thought that it's a little backwards that some of the people who bash other PFT outfits did the same thing to get their current job.....I guess what it boils down to for me is that it is classless and childish to be happy at someone else's misfortune...even if they did make a poor decision

I am sorry for anyone losing a job..but, that being said, I am not surprised at all that Skybus failed. Any pilot who went there knew that it was a LONG shot and had "big airplane" well actually, "midsize airplane-i-tis". I know a few guys who left N.J. to go there and the only reason was for a fast upgrade in hopes to make some fast cash. Shortsightedness and greed is the only reason anyone went there. Someone posted that it was a dream to go there...hmmm, well, when I hung out with your drunk ex Bill Dirfendorfer at a local bar in Columbus, it seemed more like a scam and a nightmare. But, he too bailed as even he must have thought, there is no WAY this will work. See what sobering up does for the mind? We all make our own destiny and we all take chances that either pay off or fail. I wish those at Skybus the best of luck and I hope they have learned not to chase the pot of lucky charms...might end up being marshmallows instead of gold.

Maybe Skybus stopped flying before the FAA started looking at their maintenance work. SWA may be able to handle a $10 million fine but, Skybus could'nt handle $10.00. (unless they sold the jumpseat).

Last edited:
You just made a lot of enemies with that statement.

As does ANYONE coming on here and posting garbage about fellow pilots that just lost their jobs. Karma is a b*tch. It is NEVER acceptable to revel in others misfortune. Good luck to all of the guys at Skybus!

I like you guys keep talking about the $10 ticket. We tried to buy a ticket on them for a wedding and ended up finding tickets on Delta for half of what Skybus was selling seats for. I believe it was 10 seats for $10 bucks, but the rest of the seats didn't come cheap.

The only thing I hated about skybus was the pilot pay and lack of work rules. At least they didn't pay (or daddy) for training to fly a B1900 for pennys on the dollar.

You guys are a pretty funny bunch.. No wonder the general publice can't take us serious anymore. Act like a professional and maybe we will be paid like true professionals again.

Back to your regular scheduled pilot hates pilot thread....

Amen to that.

No matter what your thoughts are about Skybus, gloating about 500 people losing their jobs overnight reveals far more about the "gloaters" character than the Skybus employees.

Exactly

Latest resources

Back