• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sky West pilots response to mgt

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've said it here before - The question is really two-fold.

1. Do you want a union at Skywest?

2. If yes - do you want the union to be ALPA?

A union gets you a seat at the negotiating table - it does not allow the company to make arbitrary changes.

Many of the criticisms about ALPA voiced here are valid - and we are working on changing them at the national level - That's why we elected Prater - he represents change.

If you really don't like ALPA - call the teamsters to do a presentation for you - try the TWU.

I can understand the reluctance to vote for ALPA, however, I would not even dream about working in this industry without working under a CBA.

Nobody ever feels like they need a contract/union when things are going well - it's only when things are going bad, and by then it's too late.

For those of you from Skywest using ASA as an example of a reason not to vote for a union - are you F-*ing serious? It is YOUR management that is doing this to them! Right now it is in your managements best interest to treat the ASA pilots like crap for whatever reason - it does not take much immagination to see how they would do the same to you if it suited them. Genuinely "nice" people are nice to everybody - sounds like your management is only nice when it suites them.

Skywest does have a lot of great things that other regionals don't - why not just put all these great things in writing in the contract - so it can't be taken away so easily. Why is management so afraid of a union? (<-rhetorical)

In any case - I have a lot of friends at SkyWest and I hope they vote ALPA in, however if SkyWest votes down ALPA AGAIN - then I am going to make sure I do everything I can to make sure that ALPA does not help Skywest organize until it is obvious that the campaign will be successful. ALPA is spending a lot of MY dues money on this - and if the Skywest pilots are too short sighted to see the benefits then...you can lead a horse to water...

As far as the problems at Mesa go - I think everyone here except the guys at Mesa apparently know how screwed up JO is. You would have a crappy life if Jesus Christ was negotiating your contract with JO. Your MEC used all of their negotiating capital to solidify your scope language - which is the only reason you still have a job. All pilots care about is hourly pay but there is a reason that Scope is Section 1 of every ALPA contract. If your MEC didn't do that JO would have given you all the raises you wanted because he would have just shut down the unionized operation like he already had started to do.

Good luck

And if you think we like it bent over, then boy, I don't want to know what kinky crap you like. ASA was struggling to get a new contract before being acquired by SKYW. Many ALPA guys are struggling with this so called savior on their backs. If you want to use someone like Express Jet, well just wait and see what is going to happen. I hope it doesn't but just wait. The first thing management will turn to when dealing with dwindling profits and lowering stock fundamentals is not to raise prices but dock wages. You can't use FEDEX because they don't deal with moving the masses. We maybe getting it in the rear but at least we are not being ripped a new one.

Something you better know there sporto....at least we have something to protect us here at ASA....you guys will just get the bendover/fistjob! Why do you think JA is dragging his feet on this contract? Oh I don't know....most likely when we get our new "kickAzz" contract, he knows that you will vote in ALPA IMMEDIATELY!! He is giving you guys "smoking mirrors" and you are falling for it hook line and sinker! If you are this stupid with regards to this industry...it terrifies me that you actually fly fighters....I thought it took some sort of brain in your head to do THAT! :rolleyes: What a Duche! Hey if you can...get your head out of Skytards lap! It is getting pretty sickening listening to your love-fest!:puke:

A union gets you a seat at the negotiating table - it does not allow the company to make arbitrary changes.

A union and a CBA does nothing to stop the company from making arbitarty changes. A CBA gives the employees additional legal recourse if the union chooses to pursue it and there is no guarentee the employees will win.

Scott

A quick 2 cents worth- I've been at mesaba about ten years, and have tasted the full measure of management greed and what it has done to my career. The only thing that has stood between me and working for 10 bucks an hour has been alpa, it's MEC at mesaba, and alpa representation.
I assume you all know about our holding company, MAIR, and how it funneled 100 million dollars out of the airline, and then worked with nwa to declare bankruptcy! And then demand 20% cuts to the CBA!
And what stopped them from just giving our flying to someone else? Our scope protection fought for in 2004. Who got us that? ALPA representation. They knew that with this management, scope would be worth the entire CBA.
ALPA has problems, but it also has tens of millions of dollars to use for lawyers and strike preparation, if necessary. And if you are forced to strike, a reasonable allowance to help with the mortgage.

This is a tough, competitive, cost-driven business, and we would be insane to count on the benevolence of management which acquires it's bonuses not through growth, performance, or service, but on cost-cutting.
Remember, ALPA can be what you at Skywest make it, and you can have influence over how ALPA national makes decisions!
Good Luck, and I hope you choose to join us in protecting our profession.

Saabservant

( I need a new handle....)

On the other hand, with no representation who is guaranteed to win? SGU every time.

Couldn't agree any more.

Oh come on now, didn't you vote on Sked+? Oh yeah thats right I forgot, even if we had been able to see what the He!! Sked+ was, it doesn't matter.

Maybe it will be good for us, but given the silence and then the sudden hoo ray, rah, rah, rah dance that they are doing it HAS to be good for SGU.

Notice that our illustrious SAPA representative group said nothing about the implementation of Sked+, "...SAPA and Flight Operations Management Have worked together for the better part of the last year to develop a new program specifically to help crewmembers improve their quality of life...."

Is this Zoltar? If it isn't then why haven't we heard about this until now? Or did I miss that day in class?

"...SkedPlus+ was designed and created by SAPA(ie. SGU management), SIA(ie. SGU management), Flight Operations(ie. SGU management), In-Flight Management(ie. SGU management), and the SkyWest IT Department(and of course SGU management)..."

Do we really have a choice?

igneousy2 and Saabservant,

Great points about scope!

As much as I want to be flying an 737, A320, etc., etc. I DO NOT want to be flying them at $19 for the 1st year, or any other pay scale that any regional would pay me. That is why this is a Regional airline job. If there was no scope then managements of regionals would have their pilots flying 737s for the same pay as a CRJ pilot makes-and they would be laughing all the way to the bank.

Man, I am so glad I work for a company that would NEVER obtain larger aircraft and pay us just above the pay for the -200. Wait a second, I seem to remember seeing something.....

"SAPA proposes the elimination of the rates contained in the current SP Paragraph, 100-159 Seat Jet Hourly Pay Rates. SAPA proposes to negotiate separately the rate for any aircraft larger than those currently operated by SkyWest Airlines...."

Hmmm....SAPA proposes and guess what...NO CHANGES. This is still in our pay scales. So, I just can't wait until JA and co. get larger aircraft.

Oh, you say JA would never do that.......Why do you think that scale was written 100-159 Seat Jet Hourly Pay Rates. It ALLOWS them to do exactly that! You think that was an oversight?

Oh yes,...and JA is going to live forever and there will never be any new upper management with new agendas.........

Hmmm.....maybe, just maybe we could come up with something crazy like.....a system whereby there would be negotiations between two groups and when those negotiations have been completed....oh I don't know, maybe have something as crazy as a legal, binding agreement that BOTH parties would have to be held to....

Hmmm......Interesting......

Last edited:
From what I hear, Sked+ or whatever it is called is what ASA got in our scheduling section of the new contract. Just the parts that don't cost SGU much money, however.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back