Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BD King said:
FN FAL,

How about them packers (parachute, that is)
You know how you can tell when your FAA Licensed Rigger is "FRUGAL"?...he always seems to be packin' some guys 'chute!

FN FAL said:
You know how you can tell when your FAA Licensed Rigger is "FRUGAL"?...he always seems to be packin' some guys 'chute!
Puts a new meaning to humping it..........Seriously, I started flying in 1960, and after reading your guy's posts, I will still adhere to Ernie Gann's observation, and that is if it is still flying "Ride the bastard down".

I got a my first job in aviation that way.-DO IT!

BD King said:
Puts a new meaning to humping it..........Seriously, I started flying in 1960, and after reading you guy's posts, I will still adhere to Ernie Gann's observation, and that is if it is still flying "Ride the bastard down".
Hahaha...no sin there! The sport isn't for everyone, but in reality there is nothing more to the sport, than "mind over matter".

There was a large group out last weekend to do tandems and at the end of the day, an elderly lady who came there to watch her group jump, decided to take the plunge...she did a tandem and got the video. Out of all the hot shot kids out there that shrank as the plane went up to altitude, this lady smiled all the way up and all the way out the door and during her skydive.

I was freaking impressed! She had to be pushing 70 if not at least that old, and her avocation was as a missionary. I have a lot of respect for that position and I would imagine that she has lived through some things many more times dangerous than a sport parachute jump. (yea, there was a pun in there somewhere, but it eludes me :) )

BD King said:
Interesting. Does that mean she jumped in the missionary position?
No, actually when you think about the tandem type skydive, it's more relevant to the doggie style.

rumpletumbler said:
Thanks for all the help, tips, and information. I'll let you know should I jump in the spring.
What area do you live in? Somebody here could probably recommend a good DZ in your neck of the woods.

rumpletumbler said:
I was thinking about this one http://www.georgiaskydivingcenter.com/ It comes recommended locally.
The DZ in Rome is a great place I hear. I haven't been there since that one opened(the old DZ at Rome closed late 2002 or early 2003, and this new one popped up almost overnight), but I haven't heard anything bad about it. Most of the jumpers are the same that were at the old DZ....and that was an awesome crowd. When you decide to go, you may want to call ahead to see if they are going to have a turbine aircraft there or just a 182. The benefit to a turbine is you will get a higher altitude - which means more freefall time - and you will get to altitude faster. Don't get me wrong....I love jumping at small DZ's that run small aircraft, but for a first jump, I recommend the highest altitude you can get. There are several other DZ's in the area....one in Thomaston, one in Monroe, and two in Cedartown. I can recommend all of them except for Atlanta Skydiving Center in Cedartown....I HIGHLY recommend avoiding ASC.

You can find all the contact info for those DZ's on the USPA website...here's the link to the direct page.. http://www.uspa.org/dz/states/GA.htm

Latest resources

Back