Sky Diving

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rumpletumbler said:
I was kind of thinking the same thing, but I am concerned about the possibility of being overwhelmed. That could be dangerous. Is that just normal concern and something I shouldn't worry about or what?
No, because you are going to be exiting the aircraft with a full day of training under your belt, plus you are leaving the aircraft with two AFF instructors whose main job is to keep you under control and belly to earth. If you don't pull your rip cord or pilot chute, they will. If all else fails, you have an automatic deployment device on your reserve. Should you manage to break free from your AFF instructors, they will attempt to re-dock on you. Once again, in worst case scenario, you could pull your pilot chute or ripcord or the automatic opener will deploy your reserve.

I seriously doubt you will break free from your instructors. It would never happen at our dropzone. I never say never, but I know our staff...and on AFF jumps you never go without our DZ owner...he has 9,000 skydives. You'll never get away from him.

Sensory overload is common for a first jump; folks go out the door and sort of lock up. However, it's most common when you're going out solo. Later you remember the skydive, or in some cases you remember none of it...but at the time, it's all quite overwhelming.

With AFF, you're fully prepared, and you have the opportunity to do a staged exit with very qualified instructors. You'll be wearing a dual parachute harness; a main and a reserve. Both are very reliable and controllable parachutes. Both your jumpmasters will have the same. You'll be wearing an automatic activation device, usually a Cypress, that will open your reserve parachute for you in the event you have a problem or fail to open it on time.

You'll have received training hands-on with the parachute system you'll be jumping, usually with the jumpmasters who'll be jumping with you.

Going out static line, it's just you...and you're left to get a grip on it by yourself. Usually there's a radio receiver in your helmet so that folks on the ground can talk to you while you're doing your first landing...but that's about it. Most DZ's don't do any static line training, and there are some arguements against doing them, depending on the parachute type and the deployent system in use. Both "pilot-chute assist" and a freebag system have their merits for static line useage, and their drawbacks.

Look at what's available locally. Check to see if the DZ is a USPA member DZ. If it's not, consider going to one that is. Find out what kind of equipment they're jumping, and what kind of aircraft. Do what you're comfortable with, but if you're planning on starting skydiving, then AFF is certainly your best choice. You'll probably find it's a lot more fun too.

rumpletumbler said:
I've pretty much made up my mind to go in the spring. What is the concensus on tandemn VS accelerated freefall VS static for the first jump?
As Avbug stated, S/L is not really done anymore. As for the choice between AFF and Tandem....that depends...which sounds like more fun to you....wearing your own rig, flying your own canopy, and exiting with two JM's beside you.....or wearing a harness, attached to a rig worn by some big, sweaty guy that thrusts his pelvis forward when you exit? :D

As for being nervous/worried about AFF...don't worry, it's normal. Training will kick in, and the JM's are always there to help. You WILL NOT get away from both JM's even if you try. I've been on hundreds of AFF jumps of all levels...very few students lock up...but almost all do have a bit of a brain fart at some point. It's just sensory overload....that's what the JM's are for, though..

Latest resources

Back