• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Skip Barnette gone?? (ASA)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Skywest buying a portion of ASA, like the 70 seaters, was something that Skywest wanted to do over a year ago but DAL didn't want to play ball. It's all or nothing, and for those who think that Skywest holds all the cards lets look at a few things. MetroSheriff already brought up some interesting things regarding successorship.

Skywest feeds UAL and DAL, one of which is already in BK with no clear plan out and the other is about to enter BK and has already a plan in place which will make BK a little easier to manage and exit. Skywest sees ASA in SLC now and CHQ will be there next month. This is a threat in the eyes of Jerry Atkin, reference the statement above about buying ASA's 70 seat operation, Jerry wants SLC all Skywest if he has any say, and he apparently doesn't. No doubt, I bet the Mesa turd has been thrown on his desk as a possible DCI carrier in SLC. Some Skywest folks seem to think that if this happens you will just cut bait from DAL and go all UAL, after all they pay more. Any ACA or Whiskey guys/gals care to comment? Oh yeah, Mesa and CHQ are over there also!

In all reality DAL is holding the majority of the cards and dictating the purchasing terms if such a purchase is going to be made, it could be really sweet for Skywest or they could be dumped, both are the extreme but nonetheless a reality.

Speaking of extremes lets talk about what happens post purchase. Depending on the agreement there are several possibilities a) keep us seperete, b) combine us, or c) both. I pick "c" and here's why.

Last week we (ASA) returned to the negotiating table after a 6 week vacation taken by the NMB, needless to say our optimism was shot down by our management's weeeeeeeak counter proposal for section 13 scheduling, subsequently most of our negotiating committee decided not to show up on the last day and instead go to the crew lounge for the day to inform the line pilots. Oh yeah and Skippy announces his departure this week. Those 2 things combined tell me that we are currently awaiting direction from some new upper management, after all Skip was the one that coined the phrase "zero sum or net gain". The company's negotiators/lawyers are waiting for their new "marching orders" from the new management, possibly Atkin and company? Lust a theory.....

Next, we have the issue of post buy out and how Skywest integrates or seperates the 2. Like I said above it'll be a combination of the 2. Here's why:

Jerry Atkin has already got a good idea that his pilots are getting ready to organize and will most likely pass a vote for ALPA. When a carrier votes in a union you have to negotiate a contract, etc. that can cause the old stock price to take a dump. By purchasing an airline that already has ALPA with a brand new "industry leading" contract on the property the need to negotiate a new contract from scratch is alleviated. So here it is, Skywest buys ASA and operates the 2 seperately until the ASA pilots negotiate a new deal, expect negotiations to be accelerated as directed by Skywest management. Skywest pilots vote in ALPA and the PWA the ASA pilots voted for is the controlling PWA with strong successorship language that essentially directs us to ALPA's merger and fragmentation policy which clearly states that neither group will benefit a winfall (no staple and no straight DOH, a lot of middle ground there) and we all become one under the new contract. It'll probably look a lot like the current CMR contract (minus the freeze) which most pilots at the combined carrier will appreciate. ASA pilots get a much needed scheduling section and raise, and the Skywest pilots get better pay for the 70 seat aircraft, etc. It'll be a love fest for 3 years between the combined pilots and the management team which will not have a negative affect on the stock price and we'll all ride off in to the Wastch singing Kumbaya.

So you staple nuts, as my grand mother says, you know where you can go! And as much as a DOH would do me pretty good, it isn't a real possibility and I think the majority at both properties know all this, there is a lot of middle ground and an integration can be structured in many ways. This is all hypothetical though, but I am pretty sure a sale is imminent and everyone should listen to me because I am always right, ok very TIC!!!

Cheers ya'll!

:rolleyes:Actually Front9, you Jack@ss, NO! I would not want to staple anyone to the bottom! DOH would be the order of the day. Anyone who has been with a company for any amount of time should not lose that...PERIOD! By the way SKIPPY, I have been here almost 7 years. And let me guess, you are probably just starting your 2nd or 3rd! Shut your yapper! Everyone is so sick of hearing you run on and on with your $hit!

homerjdispatch said:
What if SkyWest doesn't buy all of ASA? What if Skywest just buys the 70 seaters or only portions of the route system? I wouldn't count anything out.

Don't forget the famous Jerry Atkin quote, "We dont buy airlines, we buy assets".

Homer,

Mesa might buy all of ASA and kick you out of SLC. Think not? It could happen, and Mesa would love it. Mesa is in the picture right now, watching your Jerry, and CHQ wants in too.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Hey Tomct, I've been here 12 years and seen this company go thru many changes and steady growth. I like to think I had a hand in the growth and success of our airline. You coming here with your 7 years does nothing for me or change my status. Furthermore, I really dont want to see you here with your attitude. You want to bring down the house - go do it somewhere else.

DOH is not the order of the day, is this really fair to the Skywest employees? You and I are both in the same situation, looking to protect our precious seniority we’ve built over the years. But when you talk about bringing down the house or parking planes cause you cant get DOH you think I’m going to sit here and let you run your trap. I submit to you sir, that people are just as tired of hearing your empty threats and promises about taking an airline down which provides you with a job.

My feeling about people like you have not changed, but I will not allow this to affect any ASA pilots or employees as they are still welcome in my jumpseat anytime.

Keep making threats about my airline and I will respond in kind. If you cant handle it PM me and I’ll give you a list of “G” rated websites you can browse.

front9 said:
Nobodys said it yet so here it goes....

staple

staple

staple

front9, what do you expect other than "attitude" when you make a post like this?

Last edited:
front9 said:
DOH is not the order of the day, is this really fair to the Skywest employees?
I think DOH is fair and have made my case based on equipment, pay and career expectations. If Skywest were to buy ASA, which I doubt, they would be purchasing our equipment and "our" routes (to the extent that flying belongs to anyone in this contract carrier alter ego world). Tell us the objective reasons why you think DOH is not fair to the Skywest pilots.

MetroSheriff said:
"At will" doesn't mean sh1t when you buy a union outfit. You buy the union CBA too. It is called successorship. Do a little research on topics that you are deficient in knowledge before you babble. You won't sound quite so glib, nor ignorant.

MetroSheriff,

While you are correct in the short term, would you care to look down the road at what can happen to a carrier after the purchase. While you are doing the research thing, take a look at what happen to WestAir, CCAir, and ALG. How did their successorship sections do? Don't drink too much of the Herndon Koolaid - it can be strong stuff.

shamrock, I throw a little flamebait out there to see who is easily rattled. If you are weak minded you will no doubt fall for it and get all wound up and pissed off. That is not my problem.

Last edited:
I would love to see our 20-24 year captains flying for your 1.5 year FO as captains---YEAH RIGHT----

We will all put our foot right thru the PFDs if we get stapled--JUST TRASH THE AIRLINE...AND FLY SAFE EVERYDAY!!!!

If staple-- do you really think Skywest is going to pay for all your FOs to train them to be captains...we are not talking 100-200 people we are talking 1000...????

Latest resources

Back