• Start date
  • Watchers 14

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boy, the Teamsters must LOVE you House. Management posterboy.

"Sure, I'll take a paycut. Gosh, its the economy. Supply and demand ya' know."

Rabble said:
Boy, the Teamsters must LOVE you House. Management posterboy.

"Sure, I'll take a paycut. Gosh, its the economy. Supply and demand ya' know."

I already took a paycut when I lost my job with an ALPA carrier. This has nothing to due with unions because there are plenty of ALPA carriers which have some of the lowest CA and FO wages in the industry. Ask all the engineers, accountants, and office workers that have taken paycut in other professions...are they sellouts too? Aviation is just one of the many industries that are suffering...

Our profession has very little bargaining power with a weak economy...there's a larger picture that's not just affecting our profession...it's affecting all professions. And yes...like many, I've contemplated leaving the industry due to the new economic realities. The NWA mech strike is a good example of how little power we have while our employers continue to loose hundreds of millions of dollars per financial quarter. Your opinion is admirable, and unfortunately, ineffective in this economy.

"Im sorry you feel that way considering the contract is what it is until its up in 2 more years. ALPA is the middle man for most pilots. They can only help in negotiating whats in the pilots best interests. If we got everything that we wanted it wouldnt be a business anymore. Mesa,Skywest, and Southwest are the only ones turnin profits out there right now. They each have their own way of cutting cost's and unfortunately Mesa is one of the lowest paying regionals. The 900 does get better pay vs. the 200 so dont worry about that. Sounds like you used to work for Mesa and got fired or something. Did you fu*k up? You probably couldnt pass their training! At least I would have a beer with another pilot before labeling them. dang arrogant cocky superpilot "-Spinplate
Sorry Spinplate I never had the "honor" of working for MESA, I went and flew for a carrier who gives a #*it about it's pilots. One that it's pilots will stand up for themselves to get better pay and contract instead of working for sub par pay and work rules just to fly a jet @ 300hrs. Your comment about Mesa, skywest, and SWA being the only ones turning profits you need to check your sources because there is at least one more regional making money. Like I said before I have nothing against the pilots, it is the company, when that contract is up you all better stand up and do what is right for yourselves and the rest of the industry.

Rabble said:
Sellouts:
Any pilot who attended Comair Academy

Totally disagree with you here. Attending an Academy with a 141 Program is not in and of itself selling out. You are paying for FLIGHT TRAINING, thus by your standard, only a military pilot would be a non-sellout (and they sign a binding contract to pay for their training--and training contracts are a form of "selling out" in the eyes of many). If you narrowed it down a little further to being someone stupid enough to work as a CFI for ten bucks and hour and *THEN* going through a PFT program for the amount of money you will make your first year on the line (IF YOU MADE IT PAST THE INTERVIEW) then I might be in your camp. But going to CAA alone is not enough to be a sellout...

The stupidity of the old PFT Comair days was that you paid a fortune to get the training, then worked as a CFI for about 10K/year....then turned around and paid 10K to get a job paying 17K!! Just not good when you run the numbers through the calculator on that one.

I guess my dad was a sellout. He fought in Vietnam and then had to buy a type to get on at SWA (because the FAA did not recognize his T-43 qualifications as an Instructor Pilot with the USAF)...where he was a Captain for 25+ years.

Interesting...

As for not laughing at Regional pilots... I'm pretty much crying for you at this point. I can't find any reason to laugh at someone making $20-30K a year to fly a jet airliner....regardless of size. Looking back on it I am laughing at myself for being stupid enough to have done it though.

Last edited:
Legacydriver said, "As for not laughing at Regional pilots... I'm pretty much crying for you at this point. I can't find any reason to laugh at someone making $20-30K a year to fly a jet airliner....regardless of size. Looking back on it I am laughing at myself for being stupid enough to have done it though."

First time I ever agreed 100% with SkullOne.

FurloughedAgain said:
Legacydriver said, "As for not laughing at Regional pilots... I'm pretty much crying for you at this point. I can't find any reason to laugh at someone making $20-30K a year to fly a jet airliner....regardless of size. Looking back on it I am laughing at myself for being stupid enough to have done it though."

First time I ever agreed 100% with SkullOne.

Finally! Common ground! :)

We are all dumbasses to fly or have flown jets for peanuts.

LegacyDriver said:
We are all dumbasses to fly or have flown jets for peanuts.

Yup. I'm pretty embarassed to be a regional pilot right now. I don't know if it's the pay, or the attitudes and immaturity I see.

FlyChicaga said:
Yup. I'm pretty embarassed to be a regional pilot right now. I don't know if it's the pay, or the attitudes and immaturity I see.

A combination. I felt the same way. And the joy--no *lust*--to destroy fellow pilots in any and every way possible. It's amazing to behold really. Management fights us and then we fight each other. No wagon circling in the Commuter industry that's for sure. Every man for himself.

Latest resources

Back