Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Pilot Training

SkyBoy1981 said:
I got a C500 series type 4 years ago with no ATP. The only stipulation I recall was some sort of OE restriction placed on my certificate that I could not act as PIC until I received 25 hours in the airplane with a fully qualified PIC. I don't think that had anything to do with my lack of an ATP though.

In any case, the C550 is a very simple and fun airplane. I wouldn't worry about it much...just know what you are supposed to know.
The Cessna Citation is a very easy aircraft to fly. Simcom or FlightSafety will train a monkey for the right price.I saw some real losers make it through training at both places.

Last edited:
I've been through a few initials and re currents with Simcom. One of the initials I typed in the King Air 350. I was lucky and had enough time at the time to get my ATP at the same time. Simcom is ok but they seem to had some funny ideas about how to go about some of their type rated courses. I know they run their BE-300 course a little different then most other schools. They cram it all in a week and you have to take the ride in the actual airplane. (kinda makes it more trouble than it should be) They don't have a full motion sim. There are a few other differences that I won't get into here but just thought I'd throw in my two cents. Since then I've been through 2 full SIC initials with Flight Safety both in the CE-550 and the CE-650. It is basically the full deal minus the type ride. (don't get me started on why some retarded companies don't want to type guys) Anyway, don't worry about the type right now. Just make learning as much as you can about the airplane your goal now. Limitations, Airspeeds, and Memory Items and you'll be golden. Remember when it comes time to fly the sim to ask guys about good power settings for different configurations. Since this is your first jet you will soon learn that flying the proper power settings will make life much easier for you. Anyway, hope I helped in some way.

TrailerTrash said:
The Cessna Citation is a very easy aircraft to fly. Simcom or FlightSafety will train a monkey for the right price.I saw some real losers make it through training at both places.

Love the avatar. :beer:

SkyBoy1981 said:
I got a C500 series type 4 years ago with no ATP. The only stipulation I recall was some sort of OE restriction placed on my certificate that I could not act as PIC until I received 25 hours in the airplane with a fully qualified PIC. I don't think that had anything to do with my lack of an ATP though.

In any case, the C550 is a very simple and fun airplane. I wouldn't worry about it much...just know what you are supposed to know.

The OE restrictrion is directly related to whether or not you have any other type rating and your turbine time.

I'm in the hotel right now in ORL for SIC initial in the CE 550 at Simcom. Getting the SIC type, got hosed w/ our examiner. w/o saying his name if people have been down here his initials are F.E. Doing sim this week which is fine but my partner is making it really hard...have to keep watching out for him because he's screwing me up in there. I guess at checkride time its every man for himself...I hope thats true. If anyone has questions I'll check for replies. Company wont pay for Type, and I refuse to pay the difference to get it and pay for a rating. I'll deal w/ SIC I dont care. I guess they think I"ll leave or something if I'm type rated, I dont know. Gettin tired of hooters though....and no one has NESN to watch the Sox!

Who is your instructor? I did my type ride there in late November, but I had DG as my examiner. Super great guy.
Don't worry too much, SIC ride is a piece of cake, just take your time.
Are you at the Hawthorne? Best place there going. Free breakfast, they give you a boxed lunch every day, and free drinks and appetizers until 7pm. Take you daily cash and pocket it.
If your from the BOS area, who you working for? EAC or BAC?

Hung

FlyMeSWA said:
I'm in the hotel right now in ORL for SIC initial in the CE 550 at Simcom. Getting the SIC type, got hosed w/ our examiner. w/o saying his name if people have been down here his initials are F.E. Doing sim this week which is fine but my partner is making it really hard...have to keep watching out for him because he's screwing me up in there. I guess at checkride time its every man for himself...I hope thats true. If anyone has questions I'll check for replies. Company wont pay for Type, and I refuse to pay the difference to get it and pay for a rating. I'll deal w/ SIC I dont care. I guess they think I"ll leave or something if I'm type rated, I dont know. Gettin tired of hooters though....and no one has NESN to watch the Sox!

I had F E for my ground school, awesome guy. I had G E for my sim, not such an awesome guy, but he was blind enough that you could get away with lots of things in the sim.

I had a really weak guy paired with me, I had to help him with most everything, and I felt like I was single pilot when I was flying. Oh, I had about 400 hours at the time. But, you can't fail the SIC checkride (I was told this before I took it) and if there is a disparity of skills between students, a good instructor will notice that, so if he screws you up, don't worry too much.

All that being said GO SAWX!!!!! YANKEES SUCK!!!!

You can fail SIC if you're doing an SIC Type. Its an FAA ride. The Hawthorne is cool definately. But the breakfast sucks and the boxed lunch is worst than what they would serve on Air Tran. I just do my own thing w/ the food, they pay for it anyway. GE is a great guy definately! Really funny and a character. The Dunks down here needs some northeast lovin' though. I asked for a medium iced, cream no sugar, and he goes "coffee?" I'm thinkin...no a bag of ice with cream in it u dumb ass....

-Dr. Van Nostrin (From the Clinic)

P.S. EAC had its certificate "surrendered" to avoid revocation, they have ceased operations since the end of april. Thier jets are for sale from what I hear.

No not really its not as big of a deal as it sounded. He's good, and has some good stories. We have Loft w/ him tomm, well I dont but my sim partner does (PIC), and then the checkride on Sun. I actually haven't run into anyone I dont like there.

Latest resources

Back