Simcom C550 SIC Initial

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
wolfpackpilot said:
There is no such thing as a Second in Command type rating. Either you are type rated in the aircraft and have authorization to act as Pilot in Command, or you are qualified to fly in the right seat and act as Second in Command.
If you have a type rating in an aircraft your automatically signed off to act as SIC in such aircraft.

yeah there is SIC type, they put a limitation "SIC priveleges only" on your type rating in that particular aircraft -- I just got one in the ERJ170

I stand corrected... Never heard of a SIC type rating until today, I was wrong.

After reading the FAA advisory, sounds like nothing has changed except a license to comply with ICAO policy in other countries. Fly in the US, you dont need it, fly outside the US, you may need it.

I don't think that SIC Type is strictly for jets. When I went through groundschool at Piedmont they were telling us that sometime soon we will have to get new licenses for Dash8 SIC's. Don't know if they were blowing smoke up our butts or what. They said that if the FAA would come up to us we would have to show them proof that we belong on that aircraft.. i dunno

Do the type. Most examiners can't remember if you are PIC, SIC or 135. They just get you in the box and if you know your stuff, they make the paperwork fit afterword. Not all are like this but many are. Before you are in there they will have heard from your instructors if you are sharp or not. The biggest advantage you can give yourself is to study lots before you get there. Know the systems cold before you get there, then you can ask real questions instead of stupid ones and your instructors will be impressed. Show a good attitude, some of these guys won't crack the book until day one. There are just as many lazy unmotivated pilots(and instuctors-examiners) in the jet world as there are in the prop world. When I moved into jets I envisioned everyone being really on top of things and the bar to be alot higher. You'll see that this isn't really the case. Go in kick some arse and you'll be fine.

By the way, there are lots of 550 typed people out there without an ATP.

What about the insurances companies? What do they usually require for someone to act as PIC in a .. let's say a CJ 2? Just curious...

bjriggs17 said:
at Simcom SICs still do oral and checkride, just a different checkride - one more single engine approach I think -- do the type dude

Hmmm, I went thru SIC on the Hawker last July and didn't do an oral. You go thru the checkride, but it's not graded to any standards, so it's essentially just another lesson

The difference between a PIC check ride and a SIC check ride is that the PIC is required to do a circling approach.
The test standards are the same except that the SIC must sit in the right seat. The PIC can sit in any seat except that he might find hard to do the circling approach

I got a C500 series type 4 years ago with no ATP. The only stipulation I recall was some sort of OE restriction placed on my certificate that I could not act as PIC until I received 25 hours in the airplane with a fully qualified PIC. I don't think that had anything to do with my lack of an ATP though.

In any case, the C550 is a very simple and fun airplane. I wouldn't worry about it much...just know what you are supposed to know.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back