• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Sign of the coming hiring boom

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The pilots getting hired with 1500 hours now are the ones who got turned down at 500 hours, but with another 1000 hours of reinforcing their bad habits.

Why do people blame Kit Darby? He made a fortune because idiot pilots would buy his stuff.

Flyer, can you tell me how many airplanes American Eagle has? What their hiring requirements are? What A/C they have in order? How often are they running new hire classes? How do you apply? What is the interview like? What sim/profile? What Questions get asked?

Can you do the same thing for United?

Oh yeah....the year is 1992.

Air Inc and previously FAPA was a aggregator of all this information before the Internet existed for such purposes. Kit Darby made good money off this information, but that has passed. You show you age by not realizing this and calling people idiots for subscribing to his stuff. I'm not that old but even I remember when this airline/hiring information was not in the Internet.

Flyer, can you tell me how many airplanes American Eagle has? What their hiring requirements are? What A/C they have in order? How often are they running new hire classes? How do you apply? What is the interview like? What sim/profile? What Questions get asked?

Can you do the same thing for United?

Oh yeah....the year is 1992.

Air Inc and previously FAPA was a aggregator of all this information before the Internet existed for such purposes. Kit Darby made good money off this information, but that has passed. You show you age by not realizing this and calling people idiots for subscribing to his stuff. I'm not that old but even I remember when this airline/hiring information was not in the Internet.
That's a service that you can buy. Plenty of pilots got hired at Eagle and United even before 1992 and they did it without Air Inc or FAPA. I'll take back the idiot comment if I could re-edit, but can't. I just don't understand why people blame Kit Darby anytime the phrase pilot shortage is mentioned. Kit made money only because pilots supported his business.

That's a service that you can buy. Plenty of pilots got hired at Eagle and United even before 1992 and they did it without Air Inc or FAPA. I'll take back the idiot comment if I could re-edit, but can't. I just don't understand why people blame Kit Darby anytime the phrase pilot shortage is mentioned. Kit made money only because pilots supported his business.
I wish there had been a FAPA when I left the Navy in 1977. It would have been a great source of information on the airline hiring, a chance to meet and greet, well worth the couple hundred bucks it cost. Lots of pilots got tyheri carer start due to his fairs and feel it was well worth the money.

Why is everyone so down on Kit. I don't sees posts about Cheryl Cage for the money she made, I don't see posts for the sim prep people who made money, I don't see posts about the Hotels at the interviews cities that made money?

Kit provided a service, it was up to the individual to purchase the service or not purchase the servie, it is up to no one to judge the correctness of his service. The job fair business is still booming.

I wish there had been a FAPA when I left the Navy in 1977. It would have been a great source of information on the airline hiring, a chance to meet and greet, well worth the couple hundred bucks it cost. Lots of pilots got tyheri carer start due to his fairs and feel it was well worth the money.

Why is everyone so down on Kit. I don't sees posts about Cheryl Cage for the money she made, I don't see posts for the sim prep people who made money, I don't see posts about the Hotels at the interviews cities that made money?

Kit provided a service, it was up to the individual to purchase the service or not purchase the servie, it is up to no one to judge the correctness of his service. The job fair business is still booming.

When you have to explain the joke, it is no longer is funny.

I think the thing that bugged people about Kit was his endless predictions about future hiring, that were often very wrong.

If he stuck to the actual business, without so much blue-sky talk, maybe he would be seen differently.

Re: "shortage".

What is coming is not so much a shortage, but the pilot labor market will become more liquid, with interviews coming easier, chances of being hired higher, and more movement between employers.

The problem with the word "shortage" is that to many people they think of a food shortage, where supermarket shelves go empty, or something.

Overall, the supply-demand curve is almost certain to favor "sellers" (pilots) in the pilot labor market. Is this a shortage? Depends on how you use the word.

It is conceivable that some very low-QOL 135 operators could experience an actual "shortage" where they will have very, very few interested applicants without substantial pay improvements.

In my opinion, the 1500hr/ATP rule will accentuate this effect.

I soloed in 1977 just before I graduated from high school. The only thing I knew about airlines at the time was many of the pilot candidates were ex military with connections. I knew at least three who were civilian pilots before the airlines. Different world indeed!

Latest resources

Back