• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SIDs and STARs -- who approves these, who names these

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I know we ask direct BIGAL and pronounced it begal and they controller said its "Big Al" and it was named after me! We did get any directs after that!

The Air Force has its own Terpsters and they design procedures for USAF fields. The Terpster picks the waypoint names (with a little help from those in the approval process). These waypoints have to be compared against the ICAO database to ensure there is no duplication. I'm pretty sure that the FAA Terpsters follow the pretty much the same procedures.

Here's a grim one.

ILS 28R CMH
- 6.4 fix GOTSL ("got slow"), 3.3 fix UNOIT ("you know it")

ACA 6291

The aircraft stalled while executing the ILS approach to runway 28L during a snowstorm. Failure of the flight crew to use adequate power to maintain airspeed during the final approach segment of the flight.

Final oversight is in OKC with the Flight procedure standards office AFS-420.
Then flight checked via the Flight inspection field offices ("flightcheck" call sign) Great flying job if you can get one.

I did TERPs in the military. Funny, every time I'd name the fixes something I liked they would come back named after the CO and his staff. Good to be the king.
Ever have any problems sleeping and the tax code isn't available, pick up a TERPs manual.

...sweet...

I dig some of the names in and around BNA, all having to do with country music.

All the country music stars, and yet there is a fix on an arrival for BNA named after me (which is a very long story)....

Boy, if the management tools at ASA could crack that code, they could figure out who I am (which would be bad for me, I'm sure.......)

In the US does the FAA work on new SIDs and STARs. What about the names given to these? Finally, do the airlines have any day in the SIDs and STARS (say UAL at ORD, or DL at ATL)?

Some meaningless trivia but if I'm not mistaken, the term "SID" is now one of those defunct, gone by the wayside aviation terms.

Its now a "Departure Procedure".

Good topic though.
You could expand it and do the airport identifier discussion too.
Here's one.

CVG

Its Covington, Kentucky.

Heard coming into BNA late at night:

Eagle: "Nashville tower, Eagle 541 just coming inside Lreta (unsure of spelling).

Tower: "When you're done, you're cleared to land."

Back in the day, the ILS to 27R in PHL had a fix called "Jonie" (SP?). I would hear people checking in to tower that the were "coming on Jonie" or "Dropping our shorts over Jonie" for the SD-3 guys.......

I think the fix in LAS is called "Tysen" (SP?), oh wait I think I bit off more than I can chew on that one...........

Latest resources

Back