SIDs and STARs -- who approves these, who names these

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

shon7

In the US does the FAA work on new SIDs and STARs. What about the names given to these? Finally, do the airlines have any day in the SIDs and STARS (say UAL at ORD, or DL at ATL)?

Had an airport owner once be very forceful in getting a RNAV approach to our little airport. The FAA named the FAF "PUSHY."

I know mil bases work with the FAA through their FAA rep to design and TERPS approaches so I assume individual airports and RAPCONs do the same for SIDs/STARs. The ILS final to RWY 36 at Hurlburt Field is named after a strip club in the area.

Its usually a working group that includes the facilities involved. When 16R/34L opened in SLC, they renamed all the intersections, except for DYANN, using golf terminology. Since then a few of them have changed.

A lot of the time they use names that are associated with the area, like barbeque in Kansas City, hotels in Las Vegas, and various sport teams.

And speaking of Vegas, the new RNAV departure bringing back the right turn climb off RWY 25 starts in March (STAAV3). I wish it had been called the SCRWU2 for all the noise whiners in northwest Vegas who are trying to stop it. I'm sick of 45 minute taxi times because of having only one departure gate.

And, for our next ATC experiment, CLIMB VIA departures will start testing in May. What could go wrong?

Latest resources

Back