Shuttle guys!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wheres the van? said:
S5 came about originally to provide feed for SWA in the northeast,this never came to fruition
Where did you hear that??? The only airport that SWA and the original (Dash 8-300) Shuttle America both served was Buffalo. I am sure there were not too many people that were connecting from BED or TTN to a SWA flight. People from both markets could have driven to either BWI or MHT.

The problem I see with S5 captains going to the right seat for $23.00/hr is most of us could not afford it. Most of us are not 20 something year olds. I for one have a mortgage that I could not afford on that salary.

Lose my seat and cut my pay in half, what a deal!!!!!

SlapShot said:
The problem I see with S5 captains going to the right seat for $23.00/hr is most of us could not afford it. Most of us are not 20 something year olds. I for one have a mortgage that I could not afford on that salary.

Lose my seat and cut my pay in half, what a deal!!!!!

Slapshot your an ass. Quit fabricating B.S. No one has said S5 captains are going to be downgraded to the right seat you douche. The integration is going to abitration. You guys gave your case CHQ guys gave theirs. This constant $hit that you make up is making the majority of good guys in your company look bad. (i.e. Doubting Thomas) You better come to the terms of joining the CHQ guys or leave. Your also a hypocrite, talk about being selfish look at your last sentence. If I didn't say it already your a jack ass!

SA is a corporate shell for Wexford to move money and planes around. They are flying the same tired Saabs that I used to sweat in because Wexford wanted to make CHQ/RAH look better on the balance sheet to get more money for the IPO. Wexford fired CHQ pilots out of seniority and then offered them jobs at SA. Some of these pilots didn’t even apply at SA but somehow SA got their number and called to offer a job. Why? To save Wexford money, you take already qualified pilots minus any longevity and help the bottom line at SA there go CHQ/RAH.

Now while you use up those leases on the Saabs, Wexford has a threat card to play against the CHQ pilots in contract negotiation. CHQ can’t scope SA because our contract is with RAH not Wexford. SA has a younger seniority list so new jet growth there would be cheaper than at CHQ. Luckily the new contract closed this loop hole but at a cost to the CHQ/RAH pilots so again Wexford wins.

Now Wexford needs RAH to get the 170 on another ticket pronto because they are bleeding cash to the APA. They do a paper transaction and Ta Dah. SA is now a RAH company. SA did its job, used up the leases on the Saabs and leveraged the pilot group. Let’s not let THEM use it anymore.

IMO what SA was offered by the CHQ MEC was due to the fact that they must try to protect ever seniority number equally (btw I don’t know what they offered since they didn’t tell us) and that was the only way. Was it fair to SA? No. Should they go to arbitration? Yes. The bottom line is DOH is fair? Yes there are pilots at SA that will be ahead of me but they sweated in the same Saabs that are in my log book and just because we were two separate companies on paper don’t mean we were different. Let’s let the arbiter do his work, merge the lists take what your seniority will hold, bid a base and equipment that will improve your QOL and move on. Remember in 18 months we have to start on a new contract. In the mean time I.P. and the rest of you come on over next time in IAD and enjoy the benefits of an APU and a Pepsi on me.

This is why the mainline guys don't respect our pilot group...

Here's an idea...

When someone asks you what airline you work for, you say Republic Airways. Now let's try that all together class... R E P U B L I C. And one more time, just to be sure we've all got it now. R E P U B L I C. Great! It's all the same company, nobody deserves any more or less respect, nor the alleged 'evil eye' anywhere on the property. There is an old phrase I think you should all get used to, and it is "This is the business we've chosen." You knew the risks/rewards when you got hired with your company, and you knew the contract. Do me a favor and read over the book 'Hard Landing' and 'Flying the Line Vol.1 & 2' . Then if you have the audacity to come back and whine more after you have become enlightened as to the sacrifices and concessions of those who made this profession what it is, I may listen for a few seconds out of respect before backhanding you. When your company is purchased/absorbed then you are entitled to ABSOLUTELY NOTHING and should be thankful when you are allowed to keep your job. How about we all start playing on the same team? Managements divide and conquer strategy will be fast at work next October when that good old contract comes up for ammendment and renegotiation. We better have this all figured out by then, because there are more serious concerns that need to be addressed. Ok, let me have it!

ED GRIMLEY said:
Slapshot your an ass. Quit fabricating B.S. No one has said S5 captains are going to be downgraded to the right seat you douche. The integration is going to abitration. You guys gave your case CHQ guys gave theirs. This constant $hit that you make up is making the majority of good guys in your company look bad. (i.e. Doubting Thomas) You better come to the terms of joining the CHQ guys or leave. Your also a hypocrite, talk about being selfish look at your last sentence. If I didn't say it already your a jack ass!

Mr. Grimley, I am not going to start a war with you, just clarify a possible misunderstanding. With regards to what slapshot had to say. The pilot group from Shuttle America has been hearing since day 1 since they were puchaced by Republic, STAPLE, STAPLE, STAPLE. YES it has been said that everyone on the Shuttle pilot list could be stapled. Meaning current Shuttle captains would be bumped back to the right seat. You may not have said that but it HAS been said.
I had a 170 Captain come on to one of my plaines in IAD about 2 months ago to introduce himself, at the end of his quick hello he said "I hope you don't mind being stapled because that is what is going to happen to all you Saab Guys"
Kind of a gutsy thing to say but I just shruged it off. All we are looking for is a fair and equitable merger. 83 pilots is Won't even make a blip in the CHQ pilot list. Every Pilot at "OLD" Shuttle is very stressed, If you were on our side of the coin, you would have a better understanding of what we are going through.

Best of luck and Happy Landings

Airline Driver said:
Mr. Grimley, I am not going to start a war with you, just clarify a possible misunderstanding. With regards to what slapshot had to say. The pilot group from Shuttle America has been hearing since day 1 since they were puchaced by Republic, STAPLE, STAPLE, STAPLE. YES it has been said that everyone on the Shuttle pilot list could be stapled. Meaning current Shuttle captains would be bumped back to the right seat. You may not have said that but it HAS been said.
I had a 170 Captain come on to one of my plaines in IAD about 2 months ago to introduce himself, at the end of his quick hello he said "I hope you don't mind being stapled because that is what is going to happen to all you Saab Guys"
Kind of a gutsy thing to say but I just shruged it off. All we are looking for is a fair and equitable merger. 83 pilots is Won't even make a blip in the CHQ pilot list. Every Pilot at "OLD" Shuttle is very stressed, If you were on our side of the coin, you would have a better understanding of what we are going through.

Best of luck and Happy Landings

The only way you are going to get stapled is if the arbitrator decides so. It is out of everyones hands besides the arbitrator. Present your case to the arbitrator and may the most fair (FOR BOTH SIDES) ruling be the outcome. I would almost guarntee that you captains aren't going to lose your seat and in turn are going to get a pay raise. So the fact that Mr. Slap Happy has to get on here and be a complete jack ass I do not understand.

It is funny everyone coming to the party claims that their pilot group will not be anything but just blip so let it slide.

How am I being a "jack ass"?

Just like Airline Driver I have had 2 incidents with 170 pilots that ended with them making a comment about stapling and me being a "gear monkey". Now perhaps that is not the attitude of the majority of your co-workers, we at S5 have experienced a significant amount of resentment towards us.

I have come to terms with joining the Chautauqua seniority list. However I (along with most of S5 captains) have resumes out all over in the event we do get stapled. I know it is in the hands of the arbitrator. I am not very confident in the lawyer our wonderful union has forced upon us. Do I feel like we are going to be stapled, no. Am I complaining a lot about this? Probably. Since we are merging I do not think the stapling offer was legitimate. The only other offer we heard of was our #1 captain going on your list as the most junior captain and everyone else integrated after that at some ratio. Which still meant only a few guys would hold their seat. We never heard we would hold our current seat from anyone.

I do not understand how I am a hypocrite. If I am “selfish” because I want to be able to pay my bills, so be it. I am pretty sure wanting to provide for my family does not make a hypocrite.

You are right; we will see what happens with the arbitrator (whenever that happens). After that, what’s done is done and we will all have to live with it. Has your union given you any idea when this is suppose to be settled?

dav8or . . . Is correct in the history and his philosophy . . What is fair for everyone?

Last offer from CHQ MEC was a staple relative to both seats. Now, do you all think that is fair? . . . What is wrong with D.O.H? . .

The 86 folks at S5/ Shuttle America will be spreadout throught out the list where a lot are very junior. What is wrong with that?

It is very sadenning to see both union represented by teamsters bicker about this in a public forum. Instead of the two MEC working this out themselves, we have to go to arbitration.

With that process, the inner struggles at the higher ups of the Locals are very obvious. How do you confine yourselves in a cockpit and think greed all the time? Accept the reality and be fair to everyone. . to your brothers and sisters.

Put this issue to rest since we are not negotiating here. We are educating each other more than anything else.

By the way, I.P. drives a big rig already that's made in Europe.

Last edited:
Just as many of you asked for DOH as the lot of us that said Staple.

Fact is, even if you guys get stapled you're getting a better deal than being on the street. How are those Chicago Express guys doin anyways??

If you upgraded in three years, on the 145(which you wouldn't be flying, try 170)you would be making more than you could ever dream of at Shuttle, cause you guys top out at $57/hr and it takes 10 years to get there!!

Thats on top of every other plus you will have coming to Republic. You guys are getting a pretty sweet deal. You were at a dead end airline and you got a HUGE second chance. Many aren't as fortunate. Be happy. We have furloughed US mainline guys that fly F/O for kids that were spitting up gerbers when they entered this industry. And they come to work with a smile and do a good job. It's been said before:

THIS is the business we've chosen.

-- T-Hawk

P.S. Any person ahead of me is a missed opportunity in my book. Seniority is everything. QOL, upgrade, furlough, base availability etc... 80 or 8, in my eyes you don't have a right to DOH. We'll see what happens. Hope you guys don't have to furlough, and welcome aboard. Except maybe for that whiny little girl Slappy. "I don't wanna take a paycut mommy"

Something about a S5 Saab CA bitching about a paycut in light of the detrimental outcomes of the past 4 years for sooo many pilots, just seems disturbing.

Traumahawk said:
Just as many of you asked for DOH as the lot of us that said Staple.

Fact is, even if you guys get stapled you're getting a better deal than being on the street. How are those Chicago Express guys doin anyways??

If you upgraded in three years, on the 145(which you wouldn't be flying, try 170)you would be making more than you could ever dream of at Shuttle, cause you guys top out at $57/hr and it takes 10 years to get there!!

Thats on top of every other plus you will have coming to Republic. You guys are getting a pretty sweet deal. You were at a dead end airline and you got a HUGE second chance. Many aren't as fortunate. Be happy. We have furloughed US mainline guys that fly F/O for kids that were spitting up gerbers when they entered this industry. And they come to work with a smile and do a good job. It's been said before:

THIS is the business we've chosen.

-- T-Hawk

P.S. Any person ahead of me is a missed opportunity in my book. Seniority is everything. QOL, upgrade, furlough, base availability etc... 80 or 8, in my eyes you don't have a right to DOH. We'll see what happens. Hope you guys don't have to furlough, and welcome aboard. Except maybe for that whiny little girl Slappy. "I don't wanna take a paycut mommy"

Something about a S5 Saab CA bitching about a paycut in light of the detrimental outcomes of the past 4 years for sooo many pilots, just seems disturbing.

We also have snot nosed kids that don't understand that we are both teamsters, CHQ has benifitted from SA taking the Saabs, and RAH needs the SA ticket. DOH is fair and I really hope that is what the arbitor sets.

No one cried when they took our Saabs and flew them on the same routes we flew the month before. They used our dispatch, MX and HR. I bet there is not more than 2 degrees of seperation in any part of our operations. CHQ/RAH used SA to our advantage and it is time to give back. DOH

T-Hawk just be glad we got the scope in the last CBA or SA would be going to the 170 and CHQ would be stuck with a shrinking 145 fleet. Your a$$ might even be on the street. Besides you're being pretty arrogant considering you were not even on property when any of this went down.

Latest resources

Back