• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should we start a union?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When I was working at a huge regional, there was a time when new dispatchers were needed but none could be found. So instead of jacking up the pay scale to attract talent, mgt decided to send rampers and station ops people to a dispatcher school in Arizona, tuition, living expenses and salary paid.

The result of that was the same pitiful pay scale for the existing dispatchers and a bunch of newbies with a fresh certificate that couldn't even decipher a TAF or NOTAM. The school was a scam and diploma mill. Nothing personal against the candidates but they were supposedly on a 3 year contract and owed the company money if they left before then. Most did leave and were not penalized.

This way of thinking astounds me! Instead of raising pay to attract and keep talented people, mgt decided to roll the dice on a an unknown entity. They blew a lot of money for nothing.

Those of us that payed for our certificate were pizzed off at the whole situation. Instead of making the place where talented and experienced DXers want to work for, mgt chose an ill-fated scheme that backfired. Why they begrudge us a decent wage is beyond my understanding.

Tripling dispatchers pay would not even be a blip on any airlines' bottom line, there are so few of us.

$15-$18/hr to start is an insult and borders on criminal for the responsibility we assume. Are you ready to lose all your assets from a court decision because of an error? Flight crews are covered but not DXers.

Sorry to be so negative, but I have been there and done that.

Well I feel the pain of everyone on here, that's for sure. Management will pay Dispatchers as a group whatever they can get away with and as little as they can. This philosophy is extremely short sighted because a good dispatcher can save their employer thousands, and even millions of dollars over time. The revolving door philosophy might save money on payroll short term, but that is quickly eradicated from higher training costs and a good dispatcher can make one decision that will make that difference up in just one day.

I agree that Dispatchers as a group are extremely underpaid, but I do not expect this to change anytime soon.

Keep a few of things in mind.

The union can tell you anything you want to hear to get you to vote them in.

Once you vote in a union it's all but impossable to get them out, even if they don't deliver.

You will most likely not get another raise until you have a contract.

The union becomes the only voice for the group, the prefrences of individuals are not and cannot be considered. If you don't like what the union is negotiating, too bad.

If you have a contract with a pay scale and the cost of living goes up, lets say because the treasury starts printing trillions of dollars, your stuck with that scale until the CBA becomes amendable.

Also, if you want a union, assume that from the time you vote them in until you have a contract will be at least 12 and probably more likely 18 months.

When I was working at a huge regional, there was a time when new dispatchers were needed but none could be found. So instead of jacking up the pay scale to attract talent, mgt decided to send rampers and station ops people to a dispatcher school in Arizona, tuition, living expenses and salary paid.

And they're doing the exact same thing again.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." :smash:

Latest resources

Back