Should we start a union?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dsptchrnja

Recently, some dispatchers at the 135 Fractional on-demand operator I work for, NJA, felt a union would be beneficial and would like to vote the Teamsters in. Thought I would inquire from those of you in unions or not, to see if you feel unions are necessary for Flight Dispatchers. Pay and benefits do not seem to be the issue as we are on par with other dispatch offices, if not better. Mostly, I think, people feel like they need a voice to make changes they feel are needed, and have more control.

Thanks.

My advice would to be avoid voting in a Union if you do a good job, if you suck and need the protection of a senority list then by all means vote one in.
Just remember your work group will be a tiny group in the IBT and they will not invest much time or energy into your work group because the financial pay off for them will be very minimal.
Take that one percent that you could be giving to the union and apply it to your 401k and you will have a much better life.

En Mort Main

Unions could be bad or good depends on what you need one for. I would suggest first that the dispatchers just try to together with management as a group or select a few to sitdown and talk with management. We did that at my last airline and it worked out nicely. We first did it about pay and then once a year we would meet with the President of the company if we had any issues. Now if the company doesnt want to meet with you that way you might want to look into a union. But I would try that first.

Been there done that, unions are limited in what they can deliver. One thing they can not deliver is job security. I was ALPA at TransAmerican (L-188/DC-8), 1978-79, owner decided he could make more money selling airplanes than flying them, going backward in seniority, airline ended up in 1982 with C-130's in Angola Africa and New Guina. Folded in 1984, I bailed to the corp world in 1979. Hand writing was on the wall and there was nothing a union could do to protect my job. Zantop Teamsters (L-188) in 1996, union got in by one vote, first pay raise on contract due 3-26-1997, owner shut the company down on 3-25-1997. Jimmy Zantop figured why risk my $35M, Nothing a union could do to protect my job. But indirectly, enlightened management knows you have to match industry standards to be competitive in retaining and attracting employees. Therefore employees at those non-union companies benefit from the union company work rules without having to pay dues.

If everyday concerns are your only complaint, I would strongly caution against voting in a union. If a union gets voted in there is still very little compelling management to address everyday concerns. As a matter of fact, with union contracts in a dispatch office, often times, the manager's hands are tied because of the collective bargaining agreement. If you are not cutting too many releases on a daily basis, or being asked to follow an unreasonable number of flights, I would avoid the collective bargaining process, and count on open door policies to voice concerns. At the last carrier i dx'ed for, we were cutting a lot of releases and i believe that is what lead to a union being voted in, not working conditions. Also, unions are expensive. As soon as a collective bargaining agreement is ratified, the 2% pay cut begins.

Last edited:
Avoid a union, all they care about is you paying dues - nothing less, and definitely nothing more.

If your managment at your place does suck rocks though - and isnt willing to listen, then a union might be a nice bargaining club, but like someone else said, it is no panacea. Plus, you run the risk of the union being in bed with management - so you dont get what you want, and you get to pay 1.5-2.0% for the privilege.

As long as your employer is treating you well, there is not need for a Union.

Honest and forthright employers understand this. They see a Union as a failure on their part.

If you are getting bent over and reasonable profits are becoming unreasonable profits on your back, you have no choice.

Management HATES Unions, but what they NEVER grasp is that Management CREATES Unions. Happy workers who get a fair share don't organize.

As long as your employer is treating you well, there is not need for a Union.

Honest and forthright employers understand this. They see a Union as a failure on their part.

If you are getting bent over and reasonable profits are becoming unreasonable profits on your back, you have no choice.

Management HATES Unions, but what they NEVER grasp is that Management CREATES Unions. Happy workers who get a fair share don't organize.

Well said.

Latest resources

Back