• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should I fill out a NASA form?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I say file the report...but on another note, why were you messing with the gear once you got it down and three green. I dont think i would have sucked the gear back up and get it stuck in the up position.

In response to FlYJordan's inquiry: It didn't hurt. There was a successful outcome based on the total evidence presented. That's all I can say publicly.

I say no big deal. Ive inadvertantly violated class B airspace twice and Ive luckily got no more than maybe a small lecture over the radio. Ive also had 3 total electrical failures before and a sliding off of the taxiway due to the brakes being almost none existent. Never filed a NASA but perhaps I should have. I sound like a horrible pilot now but I swear, only the airspace violations were my fault. Just being dumb i guess.

Fly_Chick said:
At what deviation from altitude does ATC "provide" a telephone number to call? 200'? 300'? Where can I find this in writing? I had one instructor in the past tell me that at 300' he could be violated.

In the en-route enviroment, that is , talking to XYZ Center, their separation criteria is 5 miles or 1000 feet. Imagine if you will, a cylinder around your airplane that is 5 miles in diameter, and 2000 feet in height, and you are in the middle of it.

Unless you have called traffic in sight, and have been instructed to maintain visual separation (which is fairly uncommon in the center enviroment), these standards must be met at all times.

In practice, ATC allows 250 feet for instrument and/or enviromental "error", but mode C transponders only report in 100 foot increments, so really the limit is 200 feet.

If these parameters are violated, the computer system at the center AUTOMATICALLY notes the loss of separation (which is why it's called "the snitch"), and a record of the "event" is printed right at the supervisors desk.

The office of "quality control" at the center reveiews the tapes (both communications and radar). If it was an ATC error, it is handled internally, but can have fairly serious consequences for the controller. If it was pilot error, it is forwarded to the FSDO. It may have also been caused by an equipment problem, so that too, is investigated.

But generally speaking, if you deviate from altitude or course, as long as you don't bust anyones separation bubble, its not going to cause a ruckus. There is no record of it, and the paperwork is a HUGE PITA for the controllers. Thus the "no harm, no foul" mantra.

If you ever have an event that you are concerned about, simply ask the controller if there was a loss of separation. Only if he says yes do you need to worry. You can also call the center, and ask if any pilot deviation reports were filed on such and such a date.

I think I read somewhere that center radar has a 6 second sweep.

In the terminal envrioment, the quicker scan rate (more along the lines of 1 per second) of the ASR radar system allows for closer separation, and at some facilities, the separation criteria is 1000 feet or "target resolution", which is a fancy way of saying as long as the targets don't "merge" on the radar display, you're ok.

Nu

lawfly said:
In response to FlYJordan's inquiry: It didn't hurt. There was a successful outcome based on the total evidence presented. That's all I can say publicly.

THe ASRS report wouldn't have any effect on the outcome of the hearing, It would waive the penalty if the pilot was found in violation and given a penalty

and there was not traffic and stuff

I love when you pilots think you have the flick all the time...no traffic....blah blah blah.....you don't have a f'ing clue what his traffic was.

Latest resources

Back