Should I fill out a NASA form?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FlyJordan said:
I figure if they wanted to make an issue about it they would have called or said something then. Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Sleep tight, tomorrow is another day. Do not worry about it. If they wanted to make an issue out of it, they would have already done so...

My question still remains... what is an altitude violation? 200'. 300'. where can I find this information?

GravityHater said:
\

If I am having a gear problem, and at any point I get three green, I Leave It The Fukk Alone. Maybe gear lights flickering and gear motor cutting in and out is 'normal' for this model? I have no idea but it sounds kinda spooky to me.

The reason I was not worried about pulling the gear back up was because I could always do the same thing again. The gear will free fall, so it was all good.

Fly_Chick said:
My question still remains... what is an altitude violation? 200'. 300'. where can I find this information?

When you find it please let me know, but I dont know where too.

Not a regulation indicating the violation level but it might indicate they are not looking for us unless we exceed 299' deviation from assigned altitudes:

http://www.faa.gov/ATPubs/ATC/Chp5/atc0502.html#5-2-17

5-2-17. VALIDATION OF MODE C READOUT

Ensure that Mode C altitude readouts are valid after accepting an interfacility handoff, initial track start, track start from coast/suspend tabular list, missing, or unreasonable Mode C readouts. For TPX-42 and equivalent systems ensure that altitude readout is valid immediately after identification. (TCDD-/BANS-equipped tower cabs are not required to validate Mode C readouts after receiving interfacility handoffs from TRACONs according to the procedures in para 5-4-3, Methods, subpara a4.)

a. Consider an altitude readout valid when:

1. It varies less than 300 feet from the pilot reported altitude, or

PHRASEOLOGY-
(If aircraft is known to be operating below the lowest useable flight level),

SAY ALTITUDE.

or

(If aircraft is known to be operating at or above the lowest useable flight level),

SAY FLIGHT LEVEL.

2. You receive a continuous readout from an aircraft on the airport and the readout varies by less than 300 feet from the field elevation, or

NOTE-
A continuous readout exists only when the altitude filter limits are set to include the field elevation.

File, with generic description of incident on ID Strip.
I have read that 400' deviation triggers bells and whistles at Center. But doesn't matter whether ATC said anything or not. If more than 10 days go by, you haven't filed, and you receive an LOI, you'll wish you had filed. The last FAA enforcement action I worked was an altitude deviation case with a NASA form.

If you ever have the slightest question that you may need to file then do so by all means.

lawfly said:
File, with generic description of incident on ID Strip.
I have read that 400' deviation triggers bells and whistles at Center. But doesn't matter whether ATC said anything or not. If more than 10 days go by, you haven't filed, and you receive an LOI, you'll wish you had filed. The last FAA enforcement action I worked was an altitude deviation case with a NASA form.

Did it help the pilot?

Here is an idea, could I just call center and see if what the deal is?

Not to pick on you, fly jordan, just trying to put it in perspective.

This question comes up fairly frequently on this and other forums. It shouldn't. It shouldn't be one of those things you have to ask about. If there's any question, file one. There's no down side to filing. There is no limit, file as many as you want. Except in the case of an intentional violatin or an accident, the FAA should never see your name, NASA removes all identifying information from the report before forwarding the data to the FAA. Of course it is certainly possble for a corrupt FAA official to have a corrupt buddy in NASA who is feeding him info under the table, but the FAA doesn't have a systematic program in place to monitor how many reports someone files.

If something unsafe happens, file a report

If something happens which has any possibility for resulting in a violation against you, file a report.

Latest resources

Back