Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyJordan

I fly Jet Blue
So I am flying along today in a PA28R-200 Arrow . I guess these areplanes are good, but this one seems to be a POS, and I have gear problems everytime I fly it. I am IFR at 5000 in clear blue VFR. The gear in transit light comes on just out of the blue. The gear motor light flickers everyonce in a while. So I extend the gear to cycle it, it goes down, the motor stops and I get no green lights. So I raise it back up, gear goes up, but the gear in transit light stays on. Do it again, and same thing only this time the gear motor light comes on and goes off in about one second intervals, the pax in the back seat says they hear the motor running the whole time. I release the pressure in the system and the gear falls and I get 3 green lights. Pull it back up, and gear light goes off and the motor light goes off and everthing is fine. I look up, oh snap, I am 500 feet low. I am used to an AP and have used it for like 99% of my cross country flying, so I kinda suck at en route hand flying, and this airplane does not have an AP. I pull the yoke back, trying to get back to 5000 quicky and not 5 seconds after I notice center comes on, Piper XXX, alt. 29.87, say your altitude. Well crap, I am 4600, but I say 4800 so I am legal. I know I should have never lost altitude anyway, I still cant believe I did it, but anyway, I guess this stuff just happens some times. I think because the weather was no nice and there was not traffic and stuff and there was no clouds in sight I was more lax about forget about altitude. I think if I was in actual I would have been paying alot more attention to alt. and you probably wouldnt be reading this right now cause it would have never happend. Anyway, center just said climb and maintain 5000. Then I just cancled IFR then, went down to 3500 and flew the remaining 150 miles or so VFR. The controller never said anything else about it, never seem pissed or anything, just questioned it when he saw I was low. I figured I didnt really want to give him the chance either and b/c the weather was nice, I just cancled. I mean as far as he could have been concerned it could have just been a bug in our mode C or something, I admitted to being 4800, but no lower, I mean it could have been a glitch in mode C to indicate 45 or 4600. I didnt want to admit to being off by more than 200 though. The controller never gave me a number to call or any other word so is it worth filling out a NASA form? Look back I don't think it that big of a deal, in VFR conditions and we didnt decend down on other traffic or anything, we where in the middle of no where. So advise on the issue please. Thanks

Last edited:
Don't worry, nothing's gonna happen, if they didn't say anythig to you it's because the habe better things to do than violate an Arrow for being 500 ft off altitude in a clear day and I assume non congested airspace.

On the other hand, couldn't help to notice that you were IFR in VFR, maybe IFR in VMC? ;)

gkrangers said:
Heres a question for ya. Your instructor calls you and tells you he needs a copy of something, endorsement related or whatever. But he has a SkyWest interview coming up. Time passes...don't hear from instructor. I wonder if he got hired...maybe I should call him...hmmm..

Sounds like you are instructorless Rangers!! Don't worry there are a few good instructors at Epic, just make sure you stay away from the few bad apples, they will either milk you or kill you!!

Flechas said:
On the other hand, couldn't help to notice that you were IFR in VFR, maybe IFR in VMC? ;)

Yeah, VMC is what I meant. lol

gkrangers said:
Yeah, I knew he'd get hired somewhere over the summer, he had the time and he was on top of things. Will have to see whos around when I get back. And if the prices are still reasonable.

Prices should stay the same, it's summet time and they need to keep their students. I'm sure you'll find a good instructor, there are more than plenty.

FlyJordan said:
So I am flying along ... so is it worth filling out a NASA form?
The Aviation Safety Reporting System is a joint venture by NASA and the FAA to collect and analyze data to lessen the likelihood of aviation accidents. The ASRS collects, analyzes, and responds to voluntarily submitted aviation safety incident reports in order to lessen the likelihood of aviation accidents. ASRS data are used to:

- Identify deficiencies and discrepancies in the National Aviation System (NAS) so that these can be remedied by appropriate authorities.

- Support policy formulation and planning for, and improvements to, the NAS.

- Strengthen the foundation of aviation human factors safety research. This is particularly important since it is generally conceded that over two-thirds of all aviation accidents and incidents have their roots in human performance errors.

Participating in the program contributes to the effectiveness of the program.

I would consider making a contribution to the program in the form of an ASRS report.

LIMITATIONS

1 - The ASRS assurance of confidentiality and the availability of waivers of disciplinary action do NOT extend to reports of accidents or criminal activity (e.g., hijacking, bomb threats, and drug running). Such reports should not be submitted to ASRS. If such reports are received, they are forwarded identified to cognizant agencies.

2 - FAA policies regarding the ASRS are covered by Advisory Circular 00-46D, FAR 91.25, and paragraph 2-38 in the "Facility Operations and Administration" Handbook (7210.3S). The waiver of penalties is subject to the following limitations: (A) the alleged violation must be inadvertent and not deliberate, (B) it must not reveal an event subject to Section 609 of the Federal Aviation Act, (C) the reporter must not have been found guilty of a violation of the FAR's or the Federal Aviation Act during the preceeding five years, and (D) the ASRS report must be submitted within 10 days of the event.

3 - The ASRS professional staff is composed of retired controllers, as well as both active and retired pilots. To avoid conflicts of interest, ASRS analysts, researchers, and management personnel are not permitted to have ongoing employment relationships with the FAA, air carriers, or similar organizations.

4 - ASRS's mailing address is P.O. Box 189, Moffett Field, California, 94035-0189.

Google "NASA ASRS" and click "I'm Feeling Lucky"

Reporting Form - Pilots, Dispatchers, & Airport Personnel

Mail your completed form to:

NASA AVIATION SAFETY REPORTING SYSTEM

POST OFFICE BOX 189
MOFFETT FIELD, CALIFORNIA 94035-0189

Oh, and if you haven't heard it before, pay attention to this little tidbit. The top portion of page one, referred to as the IDENTIFICATION STRIP, will be returned to you when they receive the report. There is a place to indicate "TYPE OF EVENT/SITUATION" on the ID strip. Make this generic and NON-self-incriminating. In other words, don't write, "Altitude Deviation." The FAA doesn't need to see any more of the form if you've already admitted in this place that it's an altitude deviation. It would be more prudent to use a more generic label, such as "Altitude" or "Assigned Altitude."

That's just my opinion... :)

By the time it took post you could've filled out a NASA form and contributed to safety if nothing else.....

classic example of an inflight distraction. personaly i would have not lied about my altitude, i think even though its only 200 feet or so it seems like it would just creat a bigger problem. i used to fly them all the time with no AP and trimmed out they usually hold altitude pretty well. try it some time:)

Latest resources

Back