should I buy a cessna for training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cougar6903 said:
LoL, Love all the advise from people who have never owned an aircraft.

Many pilots that haven't owned have extensivly researched it though. I researched buying a PA-28 to do my training, but I wouldn't have been able to use my VA benefits, so it didn't work for me. I would suggest getting a practical plane for training, ie 152, 172, pa-28

Heyas,

I'd have to go with BD here. Get a 150...MUCH cheaper than a 152. There are more of them, and you can find one with half the hours and half the cost of a 152.

A 172 would also work, but since they are more in demand from the causal flyer crowd, you will pay a premium for the extra 2 seats. The fuel you save will give you an extra hour of flying in every 4.

Don't even think about an RG or a high perf. The insurance will eat you alive. The money you save will be worth tens of hours of flying.

Nu

I bought a 150 right after getting my private and used it for everything up to CFI (rented an Arrow for the commercial ride). Worked out great. Plus you build plenty of time on the x-countries because the thing is so darned slow!

ToiletDuck said:
How do you know who has and hasn't? As far that the leasing it to the flight school goes that's not a bad idea. It was a pretty big practice at McGregor Tx at one time. Not exactly sure what deal the own had with them but anytime he wanted it he took it. Can't be too bad. Wouldn't hurt to make sure the mx program is a good one though.

Leaseback is a suckers game, otherwise the FBOs would buy their own planes to begin with.

The best thing for the new student to do if he is committed to aviation would be to buy a C-150 with a good pre-buy and recent annual. The really great thing about that is that with your C-150 you can get that 1200 hours you need for part 135 quickly and cheaply, and maybe not have to spend as long instructing fat smelly old farts like me.

JimNtexas said:
Leaseback is a suckers game, otherwise the FBOs would buy their own planes to begin with.

The best thing for the new student to do if he is committed to aviation would be to buy a C-150 with a good pre-buy and recent annual. The really great thing about that is that with your C-150 you can get that 1200 hours you need for part 135 quickly and cheaply, and maybe not have to spend as long instructing fat smelly old farts like me.

Jim is correct. Leasebacks are for suckers. The FBO/flight school will nick you for cash comming and going and charge you to use your own aircraft on top. The very, very best you could hope for is to marginally decrease the cost of your hours as opposed to renting, and for that, it's certainly not worth the trouble, lost utility and expense.

The ONLY way to "make" any money with this game is to buy an aircraft NEW, and then use the provisions of the accelerated depreciation schedule currently allowed by federal tax law, and then sell the aircraft in a year or two. But you have to have a business already set up, and there has to be enough cash flow to make the deduction worth anything. In other words, unless you already have the cash, it's not worth it.

That's the only reason you see new aircraft for leaseback. The owners don't give 2 $hits if they fly or not (thus the insane rental rates), because they make their money off the back end with the depreciation and the sell off. It's really just a tax dodge.

Nu

A1FlyBoy said:
Isn't this "rich boy" PFT?

Not when we're talking C-150 for a person willing to sacrifice other things in his life.

Now, a lot of you "poor boys" are only "poor" because you got married young just because you didn't want to take a chance on not getting laid for another year, bought a nice car on credit, had a kid you can't afford, smoke, drink, and sniff glue, and then wonder why you can't afford to fly.

Buy a Super Cub put some bid ol' tundra tires on it and take it to Alaska.

do that thing that jesse james did to a car. he put some wings on it and a prop and it flew. Thats what I would do, then you could also drive like a cabby if you did not want to fly some day.

Latest resources

Back