Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

should I buy a cessna for training?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

  • Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web


f#ck kfc!
Feb 22, 2005
How does it work, what type of ratings can I get in my own c-150 or c-172?
can I get commercial licence in a c-150? or cfi? what happens with multi after that?
how expensive is the insurance, and how easy is it to sell the plane later on?
How many of you people have done this, and how good has it result?
thanks in advance!
Well if youre serious about buying an airplane for training puposes go with a C-172RG, nice little 180hp cont. pulling a complex body. It will get you all the way from PPL-CFI (minus multi) as far as multi goes you need 15 hours which comes to about 3 large. An option I would look at is to lease it to the flight school you want to take lessons from, they could probably work out a deal as far as dual instruction goes and it makes cost of ownership more feasible. Down side to this are insurance goes up (used for instruction) and MX is increased 100 hour inspection opposed to an annual. Im not too sure on the numbers but if you had the cash to buy an RG this might be your best bet. Airplanes are like houses, keep it maintained and maybe improve it a little and you will get your money out of it.
You can buy a 152 or 172 and just rent a retract for the 10 hours of commercial training and the checkride.
How do you know who has and hasn't? As far that the leasing it to the flight school goes that's not a bad idea. It was a pretty big practice at McGregor Tx at one time. Not exactly sure what deal the own had with them but anytime he wanted it he took it. Can't be too bad. Wouldn't hurt to make sure the mx program is a good one though.
I would think that the most cost effective means of building time and earning ratings and certificates would be to buy into a partnership or flying club. True, you only need 10 hours of retractable time for the commercial, but with only 10 hours you'll have trouble with both insurance companies and prospective employers. If you intend to make this a career you will need considerably more time in complex retractables.

A few years back I bought a share of an older Mooney. I was able to build a few hundred hours of retrac time and become proficient again at instruments and the cost ran about 500 a month for everything except fuel, and that included hanger, maintenance, insurance, engine reserve and 10 hours of flight time. Additional hours were $50 if I recall correctly. I did buy in for my share but got more when I sold.
Buy a Cessna 150, or Cub, or a Taylorcraft. Get your private and log 150 or so hours, then sell and buy a Warrior or 172 for your instrument. Rent a retractable for commercial and CFI

Latest posts

Latest resources