Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should I blow another $15,00 for BS degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Chances are those strings you thought you had, were only noodles.
Maybe he didn't get hired because of your recommendation? Because I know a former DAL guy (furloughed and never went back) who never had a 4yr degree.

I think ther are always exceptions... Though they are few and far between. I have known someone like this as well, but he flew much, much longer at a regional before he ever got an interview-and his dad was a very senior DAL captain at the time.

-I guess they just don't want to screw up and let too much "riff-raff" in the door. Apparently, they learned their lesson after hiring Gen Lee. I mean-really, who would ever want that idiot working for them?

I am in the exact same boat as you, shiny school debt and mortgage. I started back to school online a year and a half ago. I should be done in six months. The best option is to use your credits toward the science of aviation degree then when you are almost done you can switch to a different degree but it will take a little longer. I thought about changing it but no one cares what the degree is in. I have plenty of ways to make money outside of aviation. If you will just start it goes by quicker than you think.

My experience at SWA has shown me you will NOT be hired and likely NOT even called for an interview without a 4 yr degree if you are civilian background. We do have a few folks without 4 yr degrees that are civilian but they are few and very far between. A lot of them were hired during boom times when all airlines were hiring.

When we do start hiring again, it will be exponentially competitive. Add to this the fact that a former Air Force F-15 pilot is the manager of pilot hiring and you begin to get the picture.

I guess they just don't want to screw up and let too much "riff-raff" in the door. Apparently, they learned their lesson after hiring Gen Lee. I mean-really, who would ever want that idiot working for them?

Gen had a few boyfriends from inflight get him the interview.
In the end, his only interview question was given by a senior pilot. He said "This is a one part question. I will read a question and you will repeat it after me, and say exactly as I do. Now where is the question: WIND CHECK!?"

After a few minutes of drooling, he was actually able to pull it off. Congrats Gen!!

WIND CHECK!

moving away from their roots

Jet blue requires a 4 year degree UNOFFICIALY

source? Chief pilot, West side.
A lot of the JB guys in the start up stage did not have degrees. Guess JB is moving away from their roots

things change

My experience at SWA has shown me you will NOT be hired and likely NOT even called for an interview without a 4 yr degree if you are civilian background. We do have a few folks without 4 yr degrees that are civilian but they are few and very far between. A lot of them were hired during boom times when all airlines were hiring.

When we do start hiring again, it will be exponentially competitive. Add to this the fact that a former Air Force F-15 pilot is the manager of pilot hiring and you begin to get the picture.
Wasn’t that way three years ago, I guess SWA is turning their back on the guys who helped build the airline, getting too good for non-degreed guys who they hired to droves as early as five years ago.

Gen had a few boyfriends from inflight get him the interview.
In the end, his only interview question was given by a senior pilot. He said "This is a one part question. I will read a question and you will repeat it after me, and say exactly as I do. Now where is the question: WIND CHECK!?"

After a few minutes of drooling, he was actually able to pull it off. Congrats Gen!!

WIND CHECK!

The only WIND CHECK Gen asks for these days is the kind he gets with his pants down.

maxcackel, what are your other ways of making money outside of aviation? I've been trying to find something to do on the side that I can grow big enough so that I can quit working for the man and get out of this gig someday. I would rather spend the time and money getting my own business up and running than just taking more worthless college classes.

Latest resources

Back