Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Should I blow another $15,00 for BS degree?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Marcus

I'm already up to my eyeballs in loan debt from flight school and am trying to decide if I should blow some more money to finish my 4 year degree. I already have a 2 year degree, am a Captain at a regional, 1000+ 121 PIC time. When (and if) anyone starts hiring again, do you think I'll need a four year degree to get hired? I live in Florida and plan on staying here (wife, house, kid, family, friends, etc) and would love to stop commuting. I'm thinking SouthWest or Jet Blue (MCO and FLL). It seems impossible to find any info on which companies require degrees and which prefer them. Anyone have any input?

Go get a degree, make sure it is not in Aviation! You are never going to know on how you are gonna loose your medical and would have to leave Aviation all together. Might as well have something to fall back on. It is like having house, car, or any another kinda insurance, you never know when you are going to need it......go get that paper!

A bs degree will be helpful for jetblue..... if you are smart you should get something that is not in the aviation feild. You will have a back up!!! two birds with one stone sort of thing

No, bachelors are almost worthless now. The Masters is the new Bachelors.

I'd say pay off the debt first, then look into the degree. When the debt is paid off if you can convert your 2 year into a BS for 15K then I would say do it (especially if it is a BS in something outside of aviation).

I'd recommend the BS not so much for getting on with a major but for some future job prospects outside of aviation down the road if something bad happens (lost medical or regional going tit up ect.)

WRT a 2 year and a major airline, I think your chances are just fine with the 2 year. At this point in your career if you interview with a major I would assume that the HR people would weigh your professional history (121 pic, checkride/job history and recommendations) and interview performance way more than an extra 2 years of school.

So IMHO,

1. pay off bills
2. if you can "convert" that 2 year into a BS (outside of aviation) for say less than 20K (and not go into debt) do it, but again not for the job at a major but for your own good in case you can't fly for some reason.

It's a very good idea to get a college degree in something other than aviation. KEEP YOUR CURRENT FLYING JOB and get the experience to advance to SWA or Jetblue. Don't give up on your flying carrer, but have Plan B waiting on the back burner "if" your flying career doesn't work out. Best of luck to you.

Do it, I went back and it's worth every penny, when things turn around it's going to be so competitive that 2000 pic isn't going to mean crap for a couple of years, so yes a degree will help separate you form others

Don't give up on your flying carrer, but have Plan B waiting on the back burner "if" your flying career doesn't work out. Best of luck to you.

How many guys do you know that cry that they want out of aviation, but cant leave because they "have too much invested"? Sometimes you have to take the chances.
Personally, I never see the 121 side getting any better. I chose not to sit around, waiting for Hope and Change.

How many guys do you know that cry that they want out of aviation, but cant leave because they "have too much invested"? Sometimes you have to take the chances.
Personally, I never see the 121 side getting any better. I chose not to sit around, waiting for Hope and Change.

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST! That is one less applicant for the job in the next hiring wave. Good luck, farewell, and adios.

Latest resources

Back