• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Shoe modification

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I always thought the same thing about the Stags, but I ventured out a bit and tried a new style and they have SHANKS! So not all Deerstags are airport friendly.

A shoemaker can remove the shank in about 2 or 3 minutes. I had the shank removed from my Eccos, and he said that good shoes don't really need a shank, and if he could just keep the steel shank to use for a rebuild of a shoe for somebody else, I didn't even have to pay him.

That was over three years ago, and these Eccos are still going strong.

You could probably pull the shank out yourself. All it takes is a razor knife and some needle nosed pliers . . . remove the insole, and then make a left-to right incision over the shank (they are just a narrow strip of steel, maybe 4 inches long by 3/4 inch wide).

Take the money you save, and treat an FO to a couple of cold frosty beverages on your next layover.

My new Ecco's only go off in Amarillo. They've got that thing tuned soo hot it could melt my fillings. Every other city we go to, the shoes don't set the metal detector off.

Rockport makes a whole range of shoes that have composite shanks, that are airport friendly and for us First Officers (and RJ Captains) are waterproof. They are nearly as light as my running shoes and wear like tennis shoes.

There is not a market for Airport friendly shoes. Try Zappos.com There is a section on airport friendly shoes. I have always had good success with these.

Latest resources

Back