Shoe modification

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

8v8ter

I've had Ecco shoes for several years now that were very comfortable and had no metal in them so I could leave them on going through security. My wife got me a new pair of Ecco's and I just assumed that they were airport friendly too and wore them to work. Sure enough, when I go through the metal detector it goes off. The new shoes have a metal shank now!!

Does anyone know if you can remove the metal and replace the shank. If so, can any shoe guy do it or is there a company doing this.

Thanks for your help!!

Isn't it just pathetically SAD....That this is what you ( ALL ) have been reduced to as a So-Called "Professional"? ...."Mommy, are my Shoes okay?"

What MORE will you put up with just to wear a funny hat?

( Ralph Kramden had nearly the same hat...BTW. That is where most of you are going....A Bus Driver, with appropriate Self-Esteem and Wages, just so you can tell unsuspecting Fools that you are an " Airline Pilot". )

Doosh Bags. ( Incorrect spelling required..Or, I cannot Post correctly...Which makes that, Double Secret Doosh Bags.)

I am SO glad I have been removed from your Ranks...

YKMKR

Last edited:
Does anyone know if you can remove the metal and replace the shank. If so, can any shoe guy do it or is there a company doing this.

Thanks for your help!!

Wouldn't it be easier to just return the shoes?

In the early 90's I bought shoes with out thinking about metal. I never made that mistake again.

I'm weird, but I like dress boots. I wore Florsheim zip up dress boots for years before I retired. Now I just wear Sperry Topsiders!

Shoes

I've used "Deer Stags" from Penney's for years now and they remain steel shank free. They're comfortable and comparatively inexpensive.

yep on the deer stags. 34 bucks at off broadway shoes. I could play tennis in them; they are very comfortable

RV

I've had Ecco shoes for several years now that were very comfortable and had no metal in them so I could leave them on going through security. My wife got me a new pair of Ecco's and I just assumed that they were airport friendly too and wore them to work. Sure enough, when I go through the metal detector it goes off. The new shoes have a metal shank now!!

Thanks for your help!!

Hey TWE go to the shoe repair shop, I think they got one up near the airport. They will take out the metal shanks and put in fiberglass ones for like 35-45 bucks. Eccos are worth it I would spend the money cause they last twice as long as stags.

Latest resources

Back