Sexual Harassment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cw7688

I am doing a project on sexual harassment in the aviation industry. If anyone has any info or knows where to find more stats could you please post it here for me. I appreciate any leads or any comments on your airline and their policies. Thanks for the help.

Sexual Harassment in Aviation.

Which kind do you want? You name it, it probably exists, including sexual harassment of inanimate things!

Yes Please

This is for real.......... I need references if you have them.. If you want to give me some real life situations. I would like to put some airlines policy on sexual harassment out here if anyone wants to help me. Thanks

US Airways has a pilot who is a he but they dont want he/she to be a captain because of that so they let he/she fly as an F/O but get paid as a captain. Does that count?:p True story...not sure if they are around or not anymore.

cw7688 said:
This is for real.......... I need references if you have them.. If you want to give me some real life situations. I would like to put some airlines policy on sexual harassment out here if anyone wants to help me. Thanks
[joe pesci]Ok...ok...ok![/joe pesci]

I was working at this "un-scheduled" airline (135) and the human resources director, babe that she was, was walking down the hall with a small book shelf in her arms. They had just painted her office and she was moving office stuff back into the office and I pointed to the book shelf and said, "Nice rack!"

No lie, actually happened. We laughed about it then and we laughed about it at the company Christmas party...no big deal. I knew her real well and she knew me and it wasn't overt.

It's sexual harrasment when it's unwanted...when it's something else, it gets shined on. Go figure.

At the ramp that I fly 135 packages to, the employees talk like sailors. Do I join in? NO! I'm a contractor...all I need to do is make one enemy and I'll be the bad guy.

Think about it. Sexual harrasment is a bad thing...if you are really harrasing someone. Would you want your wife coming home in tears from her job every night because some Bluto skank was being a jerk ass? No. But there are some situations at work that will cost you your job, sometimes just for playing along and being "one of the guys/girls".

I just chock the plane and put the cowl plugs in and go to my hotel and when the ramp rats start talking dirty, I just whistle while I work and get the hell out of there. I think initially, sexual harrassment laws were put in place to keep the worst from making the workplace miserable to work in...but now I think that any chick or guy that has anxiety or panic attacks, can use this as a means to threaten an employer and the people that work at a place.

Last edited:
Remember, Sexual harrassment will not be reported here... But it will be graded...

FN FAL said:
[joe pesci]Ok...ok...ok![/joe pesci]

I was working at this "un-scheduled" airline (135) and the human resources director, babe that she was, was walking down the hall with a small book shelf in her arms. They had just painted her office and she was moving office stuff back into the office and I pointed to the book shelf and said, "Nice rack!"

No lie, actually happened. We laughed about it then and we laughed about it at the company Christmas party...no big deal. I knew her real well and she knew me and it wasn't overt.

It's sexual harrasment when it's unwanted...when it's something else, it gets shined on. Go figure.

Thats the problem I have with the sexual harrassment lawsuits and culture.

It can be the exact same action or speech, but if the woman finds the man attractive, no problem.

If an unattractive man says it, then could be huge problems. In this, one is often guilty until found innocent, and due to possible costly legal ramifications, no one might ever want to hire you again.

Sexual harassment should be about a repeated behavior, that is ongoing after being told to stop. It should not just be about a one time incident that made someone upset, unless it was especially egregious.

But there are lawyers and feminist groups who say that anytime something is said or done that makes a woman uncomfortable, then its sexual harassment, regardless of if it happens just once, or how minor, of it after being told not to, it never happened again. Oh and you deserve to be rich too afterwards!

I had now ex-gf that was involved in a sexual harrassment lawsuit. Actually she was not the one doing the suing, she reported what he did (pretty much just typical male joke which she did not like), the guy got fired, and then he sued her and the company. He didnt win of course....

However we were talking about it and I told her it sounded more like a one time incident of inappropriate sexual behavior, not harassment. Boy that was the wrong thing to say, because emotionally to her, it was harassment, because what the guy said made her uncomfortable, regardless whether it was ongoing, which it was not. But that is turning into the modern definition.

Actually now it is unfortunately legally safer for you not to ever tell a woman a joke at work. And the only way for a company to have zero chance of a lawsuit is to not hire women. Thats not what i advocating, just stating a fact. And best training program in the world cant eliminate the chance of a bad joke said at the wrong time, or some misunderstanding.

I am not taking away at all from when it really happens, which it does. But I think it can be open to abuse by being more about someones feelings, and less about whether there was an ongoing series of unwanted behavior after someone was told no.

Just because someone gets offended over hearing a joke is not a license to get money.

Latest resources

Back