Severe Icing Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dal757

If you were asked in an interview what you would do in an RJ if you got into severe icing? How would you answer this question? I was shocked when a friend of mine answered and the response he got...

Isn't severe icing defined by something along the lines of icing that's beyond the capability of being removed by your airplane's anti icing system?

I'd imagine the 'answer' would be to turn on wing, cowl, probe anti ice and attempt to leave the severe icing conditions by climbing/descending or turning (as appropriate) to get out of the severe icing area.

Tell me how your friend answered, and tell me the response he got???

If you were asked in an interview what you would do in an RJ if you got into severe icing? How would you answer this question? I was shocked when a friend of mine answered and the response he got...

Get the hell out of it!

Isn't severe icing defined by something along the lines of icing that's beyond the capability of being removed by your airplane's anti icing system?

Actually, I believe the definition is "beyond the capbility of the de-icing equipment of your aircraft." With anti-icing in an RJ, you would not accumulate ice except perhaps on the nose cone, winglets, and tail. The wings are 107 degrees C so there is no ice building on them. Ask for a new altitude. Things should change within a couple thousand feet.

With anti-icing in an RJ, you would not accumulate ice except perhaps on the nose cone, winglets, and tail. The wings are 107 degrees C so there is no ice building on them.

Spoken by someone that has probably never even seen moderate icing.

Latest resources

Back