• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Severe Icing Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would say that's a negatory, good buddy. Are you Icarus, or something?
Now thats just plain stupid! No where in the NTSB Findings does it state anything about Icarus experiencing icing before the accident!
For those of you who think I was serious about climbing to get closer to the sun, please go buy a sence of humor or some common sence with your CA pay.

For those of you who think I was serious about climbing to get closer to the sun, please go buy a sence of humor or some common sence with your CA pay
I thought it was great, much better than most of the responses!

Severe icing on the CRJ is defined as ice accumulating on the side windows. This is your clue that it might be exceeding the capability of your anti-icing equipment. Start with turning your windshield heat to "HIGH". Then climb or descend to get out of it. While doing this follow the QRH ice despersal procedure. It is as follows:

1. Airspeed............................................. INCREASE TO V
MO
/M
MO
IF POSSIBLE, TO DISPERSE ICE
Ice accumulation on wing leading edge still present:
2. Maneuvering Speed ........................ NOT LESS THAN 200 KIAS
Prior to landing:
3. Approach Speed ............ NOT LESS THAN V
REF (FLAPS 45°)
+30
4. GRND PROX, FLAP........................................................... OVRD
5. Approach and Landing Flaps.................................................... 20°
6. Actual landing distance is increased by a factor of:
Without Thrust Reversers - 65%
With Thrust Reversers - 50%
NOTE:
LAHSO operations are not authorized with this failure.
At 50 feet AGL:
7. Thrust Levers......................................................................... IDLE
AND DO NOT PROLONG
THE LANDING FLARE
WARNING
Even small accumulations of ice on the wing leading
edge can change the stall speed or stall characteristics
or warning margins.
— END —
2. No further Pilot action.
— — — END — — —

If that doesn't satisfy them then tell em to f*** off. They wouldn't pay you enough anyway.

Thank god the tail of the Canadair is anti-iced/de-iced at 107 degrees celsius...

If the CRJ reacts anything like a Beechjet in a tailplane stall, it would right up there on the "Please God, don't let this ever happen to me" list.

No where in the NTSB Findings does it state anything about Icarus experiencing icing before the accident!

Ah, if you read more carefully...

"...the safety bard has concluded probable cause as failure to maintain directionl control. Contibuting factors were 1) proximity to the sun and 2) low quality wax in the feather assemblies".

Ah, if you read more carefully...

"...the safety bard has concluded probable cause as failure to maintain directionl control. Contibuting factors were 1) proximity to the sun and 2) low quality wax in the feather assemblies".

Thats more NTSB BS. Everyone knows he was fatigued.

If you were asked in an interview what you would do in an RJ if you got into severe icing? How would you answer this question? I was shocked when a friend of mine answered and the response he got...

Here at ASA, we would just send out the drunk flight attendant to pour some JD on it.

Latest resources

Back