• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Severe Icing Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
severe icing will coat your entire RJ with a nice half inch of nastiness everywhere. Including that awsome stuff that slides back over the top of the wing past the leading edges (the leading edges will get alittle but stay respectably clear). side windows will be opaque. windshields will have tunnel vision and your radar will be worthless. And that will happen in an extremely short amount of time.

Last edited:
I'd keep on truckin. icing is only temporary. if yur side window clogs up, no biggie man, you can clean it at the nest stop. i'd tell the interviewer that icing is my beeotch and theres nothing to worry about. besides, if you dont hire me, ASA will.

Actually, I believe the definition is "beyond the capbility of the de-icing equipment of your aircraft." With anti-icing in an RJ, you would not accumulate ice except perhaps on the nose cone, winglets, and tail. The wings are 107 degrees C so there is no ice building on them. Ask for a new altitude. Things should change within a couple thousand feet.

Are you even AWARE of which surfaces on an RJ are de-iced? If you are and you think that severe icing won't affect it's ability to stay in the air then you need to go back to training.

I got into severe in an ATR once that had the windshield completely covered in less than 10 seconds, and within a minute we were at MCT power at, 185 knots, descending at 2500/minute. We lost about 10,000 feet before we shed enough of it just to level off.

Of course I'd put all the anti/de-ice on. And a smart pilot, if it was severe, would get the hell out. Climb, descend, turn, pray, whatever it takes to get out!!!

Thank god the tail of the Canadair is anti-iced/de-iced at 107 degrees celsius...

Just watch your head on the walkaround, wouldn't want to get knocked out from a falling piece of ice.

My turn: You are kidding you ask me if I am kidding, right?

I would say that's a negatory, good buddy. Are you Icarus, or something?

Latest resources

Back