• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Severe Icing Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Severe icing is generally limited to an area from a couple hundred to a thousand feet thick....

As far as the question asked, the icing equipment should already be on.....the only other pertinent item is climbing or descending and the only caveat there is what is the terrain like where you are, are you starting or finishing the flight, and after that I would say that you would follow the flight manual/QRH for severe icing encounter if there is one and land using extra speed/lower flap settings due to the possibility of tail stall. (Most transport category airliners do not have tail de-icing.....and the ones that do (the DC-9 comes to mind) in order to get tail heat you have to remove it from the wings....

A350

DirkkDiggler - Can u send me your schedule for the next, ohhh, well how about until u retire? So that I can tell my family, friends, acquaintances, enemys, the guy at the 7-Eleven... never to fly on an airplane with you!
Yeah, keep thinking that because those wings are at 107 - oohh - that you will be ok in severe icing! And, hey what's the big deal with some severe ice on that tail? Come to think of it, I think I am going to call those guys in Montreal and tell them not to put tails on the new airplanes. With the reduction of weight, we can add another 33 more seats for the same pay! I think I am on to something here........

Last edited:
You send me and Pennekamp to talk politics near the tips. Then give us beer quickly before you get a wing overheat.

If you were asked in an interview what you would do in an RJ if you got into severe icing? How would you answer this question? I was shocked when a friend of mine answered and the response he got...

Get out ASAP!

...other than getting the equipment on if it isn't on already, you should immediately get out of those conditions. I believe increasing speed will help shed as well.

Severe icing basically indicates an icing encounter that is usually beyond the capabilities of an aircraft. It implies that one must exit and not continue flight under such conditions.

Latest resources

Back