• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

setting climb power in TFE 731

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In the Falcon 50 and 900 we use a small laminated copy of the N1's by atltitude and TAT. Have heard that you if you just fly the temps you can over pressure the engine case or something and start causing seals to leak/fail. I'm no A&P, just do what I'm told :)

EB

El Bucho said:
In the Falcon 50 and 900 we use a small laminated copy of the N1's by atltitude and TAT. Have heard that you if you just fly the temps you can over pressure the engine case or something and start causing seals to leak/fail. I'm no A&P, just do what I'm told :)

EB

SAME HERE... WE USE THE CHART.. HOWEVER WHEN I FLEW THE FALCON 10 I KEPT IT AROUND 800 IN THE CLIMB AND 785-790 IN CRUISE. THOSE TEMP SETTING SEEMED TO WORK WELL WITHIN CLIMB AND CRUISE N1. IN THE 50 AND 900 AND USE THE CHARTS ALL THE TIME. MAINLY CAUSE I WAS TOLD TOO, BUT ALSO THE S-DUCT MAKES THE CENTER ENGINE RUN A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN THE LATERAL ENGINES. WHEN I FLEW THE LEARS I USED THE BOOK. MAINLY CAUSE I WAS IN A 31A AND YOU CANT GO VERY FAR ANYHOW, SO I TRIED MY BEST TO RUN IT BY THE BOOK IN ORDER TO GET THE BEST PERFORMANCE.

What model 731? Do you have DECS? Are you MSP Gold?

We have 731-3C, and DECS also insured by MSP GOLD, so we use MSP #'s not Garrett's. We usually climb in N1, but limit our temps to the low 870'2. Cruise is set after about 5-10 minutes after leveling at cruise altitude. Then it is strictly temp limited (PER MSP GOLD) to the Highest ITT not more than 850
and then match up N1's. Not as complicated as it sounds and we still get .78-.80 in cruise even with reduced power.

The different numbers for the 731's are interesting, in the hawker 700's its max cont at 885, the climb profile is 865 until 25000 then let it creep up to 885 max.

In the 35 with deecs at our company, it is normally full forward for takeoff, pull back to about 90 n1 for noise abatement till about 4000 agl, then set in about 800 itt. At 10,000 you can set n1 from the chart and let the deecs do the rest. Once level, let the thing speed up and then set 795 itt.

OUPilot said:
At 10,000 you can set n1 from the chart and let the deecs do the rest. Once level, let the thing speed up and then set 795 itt.
Exactly what is it that you think the DEECs are doing at this point? DEECs (N1) just keep the N1 from exceeding the manufacture's operational limts, typically when the power levers are full forward, but not always. What exactly is it that the DEECs are doing when you set the N1s then you say 'let the DEECs do the rest'? There's nothing for them to do. With N1 DEECs, your concern should be temperature, not N1. The DEECs are keeping the N1 in check, but they do nothing for the ITT. If you're operating by setting the N1s, then thinking the DEECs are doing something, you have not read the included documentation of the DEECs and/or you have been improperly trained and do not understand how the DEECs operate.

Last edited:
"The DEECs are keeping the N1 in check"

ok so when i said let the deecs do the rest...you are right, i should have said let the deecs keep the n1 in check. same thing. in the climb, make sure the itt is under it's limits, and check the chart every once in a while to make sure that the deecs are exactly keeping n1 where it should be. how's that? i guess i sorta assumed people know to keep the itt under limits.

Last edited:
N1 deecs or not your still limited to the max N1 for climb chart in the AFM. 832 is your max ITT (period). There is no max N1 for cruise for the LR35/36. If you push it up automatically to 832 in the climb odds are 50% of the time your exceeding the max N1 for climb numbers. Ive found that setting 795 in cruise will ALMOST always keep you under the max N1 number. Once in cruise you can then fly 832 all day if you want (795 recommended after 30 minutes) - all this is goes off the same principles of a constant speed prop. *note* the max N1 for climb chart is also dependant on using the climb schedule 250 to .7, any faster then the max N1 chart isnt valid. Also just pushing the thrust levers to the stops to set takeoff power and let the deecs figure it out is a risky way to do things. Although the N1 deecs are much better they will still over shoot the N1 setting and re-adjust on the take off roll.

Latest resources

Back