setting climb power in TFE 731

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cyork25

Hey guys, I was just wondering how you guys are setting climb power in your TFE's? Are you using like for us (LR35) 795 all the way? Are you using 832 in the climb? Or are you setting the N1 numbers from the Max Climb Thrust chart? I've just heard a lot of different theories on this. Anyway, just interested to hear the responses.

When I flew Lear 35s for a charter company, I used to climb at 810 or so max, and then 795 in the cruise. Some of the other pilots would go to 832 in the climb, but they were mostly the contract guys. The chief pilot once told me that he has seen some guys that fly 800 the whole time, no matter whether climbing or cruising. Only once did I see a guy get the charts out and dial in the N1 numbers. I was thinking to myself, are you kidding me, is this tool really doing this. But hey, maybe thats why 731s sometimes quit early.

I believe the old Garrett 731 pilot tips book recommends that you use climb N1. In my old job we just made a small copy of the chart and laminated it for quick ref. in the cockpit.
Most 900 operators I've come across just use 900deg ITT as the gouge nowadays. Can't say thats the correct way but it is what it is.

Climb at max. continous 832, and at cruise, 795 recomended if needed that high. Glance at the the N1 climb chart every once and a while. But your normal scan needs to be there, fuel flow and airspeed should be at the top as well. That's pretty typical for a 35, but as I'm sure you know, those engines are on almost everything, Lears, Falcons, westwinds, Hawkers, all over.

Okay, here is the problem. We had mainly used the temps for climb, glancing at N1 every once in a while. Just make sure you are under 832, right. Anyway, we had a problem with one of our engines and it is on a "power by the hour" program. They are trying to say it was pilot error because we were a percent or so over the N1 chart. Anyway, they are not wanting to pay for the fix because of that, even though we were well in the green on everything. Just wondering your thoughts on this situation? Any help would be appreciated.

731 Power Settings

Te real problem is that a lot of folks simply set thrust according to ITT. The 731-2-2B engine on the Learjet 35/35A/36/36A has a max continuious ITT of 832C and the manufacturer recommends that you reduce to 795C after 30 minutes. The correct method of setting climb thrust is setting maximum continuious RPM, at a temperature at or below 832C, or 795C after 30 minutes.

If you depart a low altitude airport in the winter, i.e. Chicago in January, you will see ITT temps of around 730-750 at takeoff thrust. Now, if you push it up to 795C you have just exceeded max RPM for takeoff thrust let alone max continuious.

This has been a problem for 20+ years and many operators have had the MSP folks, as well as JESSI decline repairs for crew induced damage.

You cold well be on the hook !

TransMach

You guys who set power based on temps instead of using N1 on the 731's, where did you learn this? It wasn't from Garrett and I doubt it was from the aircraft manufacturer.

How do you flight plan? How do you know what fuel burns you'll have on a transcon trip? I haven't seen charts in any jet I've ever flown that say "Fuel Flow @ 800 Degrees". I currently fly 2 jets with 731's (Astra and Falcon 50). When we fly it by the book we get book performance. Works great and keeps the mechanics happy. It's pretty easy to laminate a copy of the N1 settings and clip it on the yoke.

Disclaimer: I've never flown a Lear. Are the power charts temp based?:confused:

Last edited:
well, we have N1 deecs so you push them all the way up for T/O. But anyway the manual says to set your N1 at 15000 ft, note the ITT and fly that ITT all the way up, as the alternate method to setting climb power, which we do!! But, I do know guys that fly 832 all the way up and never even pull it back to 795 after 30 minutes. The alternate method gives us temps between 810-820(maybe in the 20's on occasion). But It seems to me that the TFE will temp out before you will ever overspeed N1 or N2, but then again we have deec's, so i don't know what they run like without them.

Oh, and sorry guys, I said in my above post that we glance at the N1. What I meant to say was, glance at the N1 chart, sorry about that.

Last edited:
Interesting.

The numbers in the Westwind are totally different...870 max ITT in the climb, except above 30,000 (I believe) you leave the power levers where they are as long as they don't exceed max continuous ITT of 885. 849 for cruise.

Simuflite teaches using these ITTs for all power settings as an easy means of power management while simultaneously ensuring that N1 limits are not exceeded.

Josh M.

Latest resources

Back