• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

setting climb power in TFE 731

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
well, we have N1 deecs so you push them all the way up for T/O. But anyway the manual says to set your N1 at 15000 ft, note the ITT and fly that ITT all the way up, as the alternate method to setting climb power, which we do!! But, I do know guys that fly 832 all the way up and never even pull it back to 795 after 30 minutes. The alternate method gives us temps between 810-820(maybe in the 20's on occasion). But It seems to me that the TFE will temp out before you will ever overspeed N1 or N2, but then again we have deec's, so i don't know what they run like without them.

Whoa, be careful with this. Although the literature says that you can push the thrust levers all the way foward at takeoff and have the deecs manage, there are two problems with this.

1) (this from my DFO that has talked directly with the mfg). using this method, the engine can still exceed maximums. The mfg clamis that if they set the deecs so that it would limit at exactly the proper parameters and there were an accident where it was determined that the parameters were even slightly below spec and there were therefore "insufficient power" for takeoff, the mfg could be liable. Therefore they set things so that pusing all the way forward will be approximately correct, be they err on being slightly above the parameters. Then they state that the pilot is untimately responsible for ensuring correct settings (i.e. if you push all the way forward, and a parameter is exceeded the pilot is still at fault and it may void your coverage on the engine). I haven't looked for myself to find this in the engine documentaion... one more thing on my list of things to lookup lol.

2) In some ways this is the "lazy man's" way of setting power. What would happen if one or both of the deecs failed on the takeoff roll? The engine could overspeed (even if only breifly) before you have a chance to correct, and you again loose coverage on the engine. As above, it is the pilots fault for not maintining within spec, and you loose coverage on the engine.

We run 35's with 731-2-2B and 731-2-2C mods. The 2C's have higher ITT limits (865 max continuous/max climb, 880 max takeoff/max start, and 827 max cruise). On the 2C's we can't get anywhere near the max temps without overspeeding, so as TransMach states the ITT max's are just that... maximums. You still need to watch N1 to be sure you don't exceed the N1 parameters! We have the N1 chart handy. We generally fly by setting ITTs (2B's around 810 max, and 2C's around 830 max), but we cross check that with N1. We have a good idea of what N1 should be from flying these beasts almost daily, and if it doesn't look right, or we're flying in conditions that are different than those we usually fly in, or if you're the newbie that hasn't seen the numbers hundreds of times(i.e. me lol), the FP asks the NFP to check the chart.

(just checked page 2... and my hat's off to LeadSled... he's said it much more concisely). We do often run the planes on 5 plus hour legs and still maintain our reserve fuel... as leadsled states, the only way to do that is to fly it by the book.

Latest resources

Back