Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FurloughedAgain

Cabin Heating & Air Tech.
I know there were quite a few furloughees who resigned their seniority with US Airways to go to Vanguard, USA3000, and a few other companies which have either furloughed or are no longer in business.

My question is, (and it might be a dumb one) did you have any luck getting put BACK on the affected pilot list once you were furloughed? Or did your resignation stand?

Furloughed again,

dont know the answer to that one. Call our MEC and find out.
sure would be interesting to hear what they have to say.

aj

AJ,

I dont think they've been "our" mec for quite some time.

Cant get the furlough administrator to return my calls.

good point.

i just lost my health insurance....my 18 months ran out with alpa so I am now on my own. ouch.

trying to get something cheap to cover my kids atleast.

aj:D

Last edited:
It was my understanding that any resignation submitted, by a furloughee, would be honored by US Airways as defininte and permanent separation of employment. US Airways developed this policy for legal reasons. Which legal reasons? I don't know!

I had heard the same thing, although sometimes you run across someone with different information.

The furlough administrator has pretty much abandoned those of us who have resigned (as far as information sharing), returning phonecalls, emails etc.) so I can only assume that you're correct.

Could someone please PM me with the name and telephone number for the current furlough administrator?

Thanks in advance.

-Treme'

Shortly before the furloughs started, Greg Gibson (then VP of Flight Ops) sent out a memo to all employees stating that any resignations tendered while on furlough would be honored and kept in the employees records.

This was a change to the way US Airways had handled resignations during the furloughs of the 1990's (back then, they would supposedly just ignore and discard the resignation letter).

The rationale for this change of policy was that the lawyers advised the company that discarding resignations could be considered a violation of federal law, specifically the Pilot Records Improvement Act. The PRIA requires airlines to keep ALL records pertaining to all pilot employees.

I was told by the chief pilot personally in PIT that if we send in a resignation letter, it would not be acted upon. It would be filed for the employee; when recalls came about (don't hold your breath), those pilots would be called as their seniority dictated.

On a somewhat similar note, I asked the chief pilot about the furlough pay, in that if someone did send in a letter of resignation, would they still receive their contracted furlough pay. He assured me they would, as "it was theirs, and it was earned." Well, that's not the case. A classmate took a job that required resignation and the payroll dept. told him that he would lose the furlough pay. He ended up talking his present employer into taking a post dated letter that ended after his furlough pay ran out.

The moral: don't believe what they are always telling you, because one hand is not always talking to the other. It would be best to believe the worst case scenario.

Mercy98:

The statement by the PIT chief pilot is false. Resignations sent into the VP of Operations are acted on by the Human Resources department. While the PIT chief pilot may have wished that what he said was true, it is not. The company legal people became involved and all resignations are processed. They felt that should one of these employers call and follow up on a resignation that they couldn't lie about them without being held accountable.

Typhoonpilot

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back