• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Senior Pilots Coalition Lobbies Against "60" Rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everyone has their own circumstances to consider. From my perpective, it becomes harder to sypathize with those forced to retire upon reaching age 60 when the more vocal among them berate those that don't agree with them in the union fish-rap. When I started at SWA in early 03, the union web-page had a "compare your balance" feature which graphically displayed general balances based upon longevity. As the age 60 push increased, that feature disapeared. Although it may have been a legal decision vice a political one, the legal argument seems too convenient. Before it went offline, I copied down a few numbers comparing 401k and profit sharing balances. This was before the rise in the market since then, and in general, the results were as follows - 25 yrs: $2 million, 27 yrs: $2.7 million, 30 yrs: $3.3 million. Around that time I flew with a senior 4000 number Capt out of PHX (great guy by the way) that was very forthright when discussing his balance. To paraphrase "It took me 18 years to earn my first million, another 4 to earn my second, and 18 more months to earn my third." Probably a savy investor, but not uncommon based on his seniority. Again, to each his own, just throwing this out to enlighted those 1,800 guys that have joined the company behind me on what they missed.
C

Everyone has their own circumstances to consider. From my perpective, it becomes harder to sypathize with those forced to retire upon reaching age 60 when the more vocal among them berate those that don't agree with them in the union fish-rap.

The APAAD (backed by Paul Emens and other SWA pilots) are the vocal minority who have had a huge say in this matter.

It's really quite pathetic.

These guys have had nothing but success for their entire careers and now they crap on the less fortunate for their own greed. Hell, how can anyone retire on 4 million? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
1. Ain't gonna happen this year. The Aviation Appropriations bill is too mucked-up to pass, with various corporate entities ($$$$) wrasslin' over who-should-get-screwed (I blame ALPA Merger Policy for creating this disunity), and a few key earmarks tying things up.

2. FAA ain't gonna issue an NPRM until Congress gives them cover. (See #1 above)

I'm getting close to retirement and have no intention of leaving my seat in your hands.
It's not about money....it's about a Whole Bunch Of Money! I'm not going to just step aside and give it to you! You guys sound like the twelve million new citizens who forgot their passports. You can have my seat when I'm done with it, and not a second sooner. I know some of you don't like it, but the 'me generation' is junior to me and they'll have to continue to sit on their hands for now. Happy flying....and don't forget the walk-around.

Let me guess you sit sideways in an airtran simulator yelling at the poor new hires. Maybe you can tell us on one of your past flights how you saved everyones life including your dumb FOs because of some brave and smart decision you made....

Let me guess you sit sideways in an airtran simulator yelling at the poor new hires. Maybe you can tell us on one of your past flights how you saved everyones life including your dumb FOs because of some brave and smart decision you made....

F9. I used to have respect for all of their pilots. It's now all but one.

1. Ain't gonna happen this year. The Aviation Appropriations bill is too mucked-up to pass, with various corporate entities ($$$$) wrasslin' over who-should-get-screwed (I blame ALPA Merger Policy for creating this disunity), and a few key earmarks tying things up.

2. FAA ain't gonna issue an NPRM until Congress gives them cover. (See #1 above)

SHACK!

Where do I send a check to this Senior Pilots' Coalition? I want to help support their efforts to further muck this up and delay any age change. This group is going to end up being more of a hindrance in changing the age than if each and every regional pilot showed up on Capital hill to tell their representative that they oppose a change to the age 60 rule.
Thanks Senior Pilots' Coalition, I fully support you. (A bunch of Don Qixotes in pilot uniforms)

I went to their website and tried to make a contribution (for 2 cents), but the minimum donation is $50!

Last edited:
I'm getting close to retirement and have no intention of leaving my seat in your hands.
It's not about money....it's about a Whole Bunch Of Money! I'm not going to just step aside and give it to you! You guys sound like the twelve million new citizens who forgot their passports. You can have my seat when I'm done with it, and not a second sooner. I know some of you don't like it, but the 'me generation' is junior to me and they'll have to continue to sit on their hands for now. Happy flying....and don't forget the walk-around.

a bit hypocritical don't you think???

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back