• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Senior NWA pilots screw junior ones

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Unfortunately the senior NW guys do not have a lump sum option for half of their pensions. We did, and 2300 guys took it and are gone. It was put in the contract awhile ago. And, if our plan is funded up to 80% by March, the lump sums will start again (supposing the PBGC doesn't take it over by then---maybe, maybe not) we will have another 300-500 go--the guys that wish they had after the last one stopped.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Since when should junior guys get the same treatment as someone who has been with the company 20+ years? It is called paying your dues last time I checked. I personally have been part of a terrible merger AA/ TWA and furlough and I am really pissed but that is about the extent of it because I know that in most cases those ahead of me have probably gone through worse and if not then good for them. When you reach 55 or so and your retirement is about to be wiped out and you lose everything are you going to look back and worry about the junior guys that have 20 years to make lifestyle changes and plan accordingly for their retirement? Didn’t think so. When I get back to AA I hope that they are a strong carrier with a great future BUT I am not counting on them for my retirement.

-- Basically, a no vote might have meant termination of the plan, with senior guys going to PBGC maximums and junior guys getting the same either way.

So is this what you voted for, redtail? Who's screwing whom? Would it please you to see promised retirement payouts reduced to nickels on the dollar? If so, why? Because you aren't approaching retirement, watching everything you've worked for and been promised starting to evaporate before your eyes?

And if you believe the NWA MEC is so green and senior, then I guess you believe they're about to throw you under the bus again -- and roll over on NEWCO ... 'cause, really, why should the senior guys care much about your career expectations?

Senior pilots have put their careers on the line (at NWA and other airlines) many times since the inception of ALPA, in order to protect and improve their own lives and yours; but, as far as you're concerned, screw them in their golden years.

And BTW, PBGC? WTF? Why should this obligation be paid by the taxpaying public?

Recalling LEC/MEC officers -- bad idea in the heat of battle, IMO.

Why are you worrying about the pensions? I'd worry about NEWCO and mgmts plan for outsource you guys and the FA's first then the pensions. I'm sorry for you guys but hey at least your MEC has balls unlike most of the pilots where I currently work.

What's scary is I read it and understood what it said.Didn't think it was a snow job or slick legal talk.What its said was if management win's they will pay zero.No surprise there.

boeing747-800 said:
Why are you worrying about the pensions? I'd worry about NEWCO and mgmts plan for outsource you guys and the FA's first then the pensions. I'm sorry for you guys but hey at least your MEC has balls unlike most of the pilots where I currently work.

Thats the point of all this, we are battling against the rejection of the CBA. The junior guys have outsourcing to worry about, and the senior have their pensions and lifestyle to worry about. Both have to protect their respective problems, although, we have to meet somewhere in the middle. If the senior guys are willing to strike to stop outsourcing, I don't mind about the pension issue. At my age, I can plan accordingly.

Like all of us I wanted the uniform, to fly a cool jet as quick as possible, to feel equal to my friends, have hot chicks look at you during boarding while you flip switches and look cool, and all that other stuff

Latest resources

Back